breech baby

hi all,

im due 11 sept 2009 ( so im arnd 31w6d tdy ) during my last check up wz the gync, she said my baby has still not turned and if she doesnt by next week thn they were like be prepared for c-section.

Now i wanna know till when can the baby turn ? doc said her weight is abt 1.6kgs where as the ideal weight shd be 1.4kgs and also she has a big head (like her dad :-) and im comp small so accdg to her maybe the baby just doesnt have enuf room to turn......

can i do something to get her turn ? also can one feel where is the baby > i mean sometime my hubby n me feel my upper stomach tight and think we feel her head then sometime just feel its down .... any clue

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is possible she can still turn. If you can try and go swimming or in the pool, stand with your legs apart, squat slightly, and rock from side to side. That might encourage her to flip the other way. Breech babies tend to be a little tricky so don't get your hopes up but at least give the pool thing a try. Good luck!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• thanks, but unfortunately i dont think i can go swimming .... any other ways that i can know whether she is turning ? i mean by touching the stomach or something ???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• What about getting into a bath tub of luke warm water? No I don't think touching your stomach is going to do anything. And I was going to advise you as well...if your doctors offer to manually turn her, I would suggest saying no. They can actually push on your stomach and try and flip her the other way but it is VERYYYYYYYYYY painful and usually the cord will get wrapped around the baby's neck.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Oops, thanks for that info. I dont know if in this part of the world ( Dubai - UAE ) the docs offer to turn the baby cz my gync didnt say anything like this. Infact was like 90% then be prep for c-sect
    I wld honestly want a normal one. Would try the bath tub thing though .... Thanks a ton
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Spinning babies. Com seems to be a popular answer when that question comes up. As for feeling your little one, you know the heads high, so feel for a bump that bounces back when you push on it, the back and butt are firm and dont move as much when pushed.You should be able to tell where your baby is at all times now. I know i can, im due sept 14. Good luck getting your baby to turn. I might be in for a c section due to my sons size. But im going to try and get his nine pounds out naturaly.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 11:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My dd turned several times after 30 weeks...right up until the 39th week when she turned head down and we induced to try to avoid a c-section. I had a version at 37 wks...where they try to turn the baby - my recommendation is not to do that - very painful and didn't work anyway. 2 days later she turned on her own anyway. Spinningbabies.com is good - but otherwise - just hope for the best. Your baby will know what to do and will do it on his/her own. And if not - your body may just know more than we do and is saying a c-section is necessary. Trust your body to know what's right for you!

Good luck!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• That is very early to go ahead and plan a c-section, they can turn very late in pregnancy and even during labor. My first was transverse and turned on his own at 39 weeks, my second was changing positions (from breech to head down and back) basically until labor. There is no reason at all to plan a c-section, give the baby every chance of turning on its own..
    Personally i would give vaginal birth to a breech baby, and that is what we had planning on doing if Ella turned out to be breech during labor (here most breech babies are born naturally, its not seen as a reason for c-section, its a variation of normal)
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You still have some time for the baby to turn. We found out my DD was breech at 37 wks. I had scheduled a c-section but went into labor the day before. She never turned on her own, I had the c-section. I too had a version that failed. But before that I did everything possible to turn her. I laid on an ironing board propped up on the sofa, crawled on my hands and knees, played music down by my pubic bone, etc. She didn't budge. Ppl. will encourage a vaginal birth, but I did A LOT of research on this subject and there are several studies that say the best possible outcome in a breech situation is a scheduled c-section. I am a librarian by trade and did my research. Many bad things can happen to a vaginally delivered breech baby, including cerebral palsy. It's not pretty and I was all for natural, too. I just had to be safe.
    Anonymous