mouth ulcers/blisters

my son has 2 big 'ulcer like' blisters [fever blisters] n the back of his throat, has any1 gone thru this? how long b4 they were gone? dr said 5-7days on their own??

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This sounds kinda strange, but my husband gets ulcers (which look like blisters) in his mouth and throat. He gets them from eating acidic food! We bought a huge box of oranges at Costco and after a week, he was miserable with ulcers in his mouth; ended up giving the entire box away to people at his work.
    I'm not sure if your son's ulcers are caused from the same thing, but it might be worth a try to cut out all acidic food; oranges, orange juice, tomato sauce (so no spaghetti, pasta with red sauce, and KETCHUP!), etc. Give him bananas, meat, potatoes, that kind of stuff. I think strawberries are pretty acidic too. You can look it up online to get a better list... I'm no expert. :)
    If you cut those foods out, they should get better in a few days, at least enough so that they aren't hurting him so much. I agree with your dr though; 5-7 days for them to completely heal.
    I feel for you - it's no fun. Hope he gets better soon!
    mamaD2008

Answer by mamaD2008 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• hes only 10weeks-formula only
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• could be thrush, or handfoot mouth disease (coxsackies virus) which is surprisingly easy to catch.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Not bashing (just saying) you but if he was nursed breastmilk has lots of healing properties and would heal him....since he is formula fed I would add "probiotics" to his formula. It aids in digestion and will help his body get the right bacteria back into his system. With the good bacteria in his system it can help him heal himself. Google probiotics and/or Dr Mercola.

Has he been on any other medication or recently been to the doctors? My neighbor's child had handfoot disease...she got it form the local gym...it is highly contagious.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My son had those in his mouth at one point. I called the doctor's office to ask about it, and the nurse said that it was probably hand-foot-mouth disease, and it's a viral infection that should go away within a week, and not to bother taking him in unless it lasted longer than that or got worse because there was nothing they could do. And it did go away within a week and never bothered him at all. So keep an eye on it, be sure to wash all his bottles and any pacifiers thoroughly and often, as well as his hands and anything else he gets in his mouth to keep him from spreading it or re-catching it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2009