• In the Spotlight:

Depo vs. Uterus removal. Any experinces?

Went to my GYN last Friday and found out I have ablation syndrome. I have a couple of options and am not sure what I want to do at this point. I can either go on depo or have my uterus removed... great choices, eh? Has anyone ever been in this situation and what did you choose to do and why? Are you happy with your decision? I am thinking about trying the depo and see how that works. I know that I cannot continue to go through "labor" every month for 2 days while I am on my period (that hte ablation was supposed to stop) and then suffer from lower back pains for an additional 2 days. Since I am only 38... the depo treatment would be a long term treatment. Whereas the hysterectomy would be a cure (but I am sure it has it's own set of problems).

ThatTXMom

Asked by ThatTXMom at 9:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Health

• are you planning on having more kids? i don't know if you can or not with that syndrome, but if your not done do the depo. if you are done, just have your uterus removed. Then you won't have to worry about the effects that go along with that. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• As background, I had my tubes tied 12 years ago. I had endometrial ablation 2 years ago and now I have this problem. Anon at 8:21... I am definitely done with creating my family. :) I have been leaning towards the hysterectomy. My concerns there are that I feel like I have marred my body enough. I know that sounds strange, but it's how I feel, for what it's worth. LOL
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 9:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you can avoid surgery, then you should

Answer by rkoloms at 12:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• ok hon, I had a partial hysterectomy done a few years ago, they just removed my uterus and cervix...the surgery was laproscopic...the went in through my belly button and removed said items through my vagina.....only had 3 little bandaids after the surgery.......if you have alot of pain with you uterus now and don't want any more children I would recommend this surgery to you...as long as you have insurance its doable......
    plus side no more periods.....and you still have hormones with the ovaries......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009