How can I stop using so many plastic bags?

I feel like I use plastic bags for everything (trash, diapers, etc.) I really would like to not use any at all. Has anyone completely stopped using plastic bags? What did you use instead?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I bought the cloth reusable shopping bags a few years ago. Now we have almost no plastic bags left in the house. We use regular plastic kitchen garbage bags still though, don't know how to get around that, otherwise its rare that I need a plastic grocery bag. Pee diapers go in the kitchen trash, and poopy diapers go on the deck in a bucket until garbage day. I don't use plastic bags in any other garbages in the house, they get emptied into the kitchen bag....(except 1 week a month, my master bath garbage gets one, for my, ahem, used feminine hygeine products - sorry to be gross!) There is always a use for the plastic bags here and there...but you can *greatly* reduce your need.

I also have a very large purse so when I make small purchases I don't need any bag at all, I just throw it in my purse.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I use reusable ones too for just about everything that use to require a bag of some sort. We do use plastic trash bags as well - and every once and a while someone will return something they borrowed from me or they'll get me something in a plastic bag and I'll use those bags to scoop up the dog doo when we take our dog for a walk.

Clothes shopping is now done the eco friendly way as well. My husband bought me two really pretty reusable cloth bags that I use only when clothes or shoe shopping. When making my purchase I let the clerk know I won't be requiring a bag. I get funny looks tho but when you tell them you're saving their company $ and doing something nice for the earth at the same time those funny looks turn into smiles and compliments on how more people should do the same and I have noticed that more are doing the same. I was in B&BW's the other day and I used my reusable bag and so did the lady next to me.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I buy those $1 bags at stores, too. We used to have bags and bags full of more plastic grocery bags. Now we have just 1 and it only has a few bags in there (mostly from Target). I use them for storage for the most part because our basement is damp (better to store stuff in plastic bags inside the boxes). We still use plastic trash bags but we have no liner in the recycling bin. Everything just gets tossed in the can and then dumped into the big can out in the alley (per their request).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I bought the $.99 ones from the store too, and have pretty much eliminated the plastic bags too.

I have a few hanging around and in the diaper bag.

still use the big garbage bags in the house though and thats only a couple a week.

once you actually start paying attention to it, its easier.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2009