need advice on weening

I am trying to get my son off the bottle. He is only 8 months old, but has been using a sippy for juice/water for 3 months now. So yesterday we decided no more bottle, he would get the formula in a sippy. I was told to do it cold turkey, so we did. He won't drink it at all though. I did give him a night time bottle before bed of 6 oz. but we had planned on letting him have that still for a little while longer. I feel like giving into him and letting him have the bottle back, I mean he needs the formula right? I feel so bad not giving it to him how he wants. If I keep going with the sippy how long do you think it will take until he drinks it.
Also should I stop giving him solids until he drinks his formula? I know that will make it more hungry, but then I'm afraid hes gonna be starving with no solids or formula.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stick to the sippy...for ALL of them. Just give him a sippy of formula at bedtime, too! Don't give him any juice in it, only formula. If he's still just eating baby food, cut back on it. It's one of those "if he's hungry he will take it" things. As soon as he drinks once from the cup of formula, right back to his regular schedule. He won't starve. It won't take NEARLY that long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• 8 months old is too soon (IMO) to wean off of a bottle.

For 12 months a baby can survive on breastmilk or formula alone-food is to be fun and experimental....formula or breastmilk first then solids. I would also skip rice cereal as it just binds. Oatmeal is better.

google reason to delay solids and you will get a lot of info on it-I do not know why you want to get rid of the formula or bottle-what is the rush?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• there is minimal nutritional value in juice. don't give him any. and 8 month is WAY to young to wean. start at a year. why are you in such a rush.?
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• im not trying to get rid of formula, he has been on solids since 4 months and eats table foods mainly now and is a very happy and healthy boy. this isnt a question about solids anyways so why are you bashing me??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My son is 8 months and we're transitioning to a sippy cup too - don't let them bother you.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my daughter is 9 months old and is breastfed and she has been drinking dilluted juice with her daily meals. But she wont drink breastmilk from a sippy cup yet. just be patient.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• 8 months is too young. Don't forget that a lot of babies have a very strong sucking drive and it isn't something they can control. It's not a want, its a need. Give back the bottle and try another time.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree, 8 month sis too young. Hold off on the sippy just yet.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 4:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2009