Where is the line when breadtfeeding becomes gross?

My son just turned one last month and has been breastfed since birth. My friends and family are now starting to make jokes about him being so big and still on the boob like "he is gonna have to come home from school to get a drink" He is only 13 months old and I do plan on letting him self wean as long as he doesn't go til he is like two not because I would think it would be weird but because I am ready. When do you think it becomes a little weird or gross??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is a personal choice between you and your baby. Some people ween before 1 year, and some continue on for longer. I have seen a LOT of Mom's on here say that they weened because of pressure from their families and that they really regretted it. The only answer to this question is the one that you and your baby conclude is right for you. Don't let militant lactivists tell you that you have to go on to 24 or 36 months and beyond, and don't let anyone else tell you to stop now. It's your baby, and your boob. It's up to you.

I have a friend who makes comments to me every time she comes over. She says things like "When are you going to be done with that?" in a very judgmental tone.

She doesn't come over much anymore.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well, I stopped at 1 yrs. I think teeth and talking were time to stop. LOL I didn't want him to start asking for my boob. Plus, I have read (somewhere) that there is a time period between 12-18 months where the child forms habits and attachments to favorite toy, blanket, cup, movie, etc. So I wanted to stop the boob before it became an attachment or comfort thing instead of a meal.
    You could always start pumping and use a bottle for a few meals a day. To start the two of you on the path to weaning. If you lower your milk supply alittle and get baby to use a sippy gradually the boob will become less needed. Let the night time be your special quality time for BF.
    GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• 8 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Its truely up to you and your baby. However most mother's I know stop around 1yr. However my mother-in-law went up to age 3 then stopped and I think that is a bit much. I believe it should be a personal choice,but around 18months is good. Good luck weening your child off.
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 10:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding until at least age 2 for the maximum health benefits, and many moms breastfeed past age one. So you are still in the range that is completely normal and beneficial for your child. My kids have never made it all the way to age 2 without self-weaning. I don't have a problem with other people breastfeeding for as long as it works for them and their child.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My goal is at least two years and as long as he needs after that. I weaned my oldest before he was ready right before his second birthday. I believe he has issues that stem from forced weaning. I will not do that to any more of my kids.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I think up to 2 is fine. My kids were weaned a little after they turned one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I stopped at 2 yrs when my dd bit me. I knew it was time to stop! There was a horribly gross post about some mother who comforted her 19 yr old with the breast. NOW THAT"S GROSS and if not, should be illegal! Certainly immoral to say the least but I think you are safe. Stop when you want to stop not bc others don't like it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• personally when a child is old enough to ask his or her mom for the boob and starts to reach for it it's too old.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• personally I think when a kid can walk up and lift the shirt to feed its crossed that line. 2 is about my limit, we were out on an interpretive hike with a few other families while camping and this 3 year old was whining and complaining so the mom sat down 'whipped out a boob' (dh's words) and proceeded to feed him. I was icked out - as were the rest of the people on that hike and we were all parents. my kids are still talking about it.

my girls weaned themselves at 5mo, 9mo and 12mo.

whatever works for you personally and mentally is what works for you.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009