Did your 2 year old go thru a stuttering phase?

My grandson who will be 2 on Friday (07/17/09) has always been verbally advanced for his age. We've had many comments about how advanced his language skills are from his day care provider to the speech therapist who comes to his day care to work with other children to basically anyone who meets/talks to him. Most can't believe he's the age he is because of how he talks.

The thing is he has recently (like the past couple of weeks) started to stutter A LOT. It seems to take him forever to get out what he wants to say. I know at this age their brains work at a faster rate than the rest of their body but It's become quite noticeable lately.

We tell him to slow down and tell us what he wants. We've noticed it's worse when he's excited about what he's trying to talk about but we're starting to get a little concerned.

Has anyone else had this happen with their 2 yr olds? Did they grow out of it?

MimiStacie

Asked by MimiStacie at 10:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes he did! Like your grandson- he always talked very well for his age. Then all the sudden he started stuttering pretty bad. My mom kept telling me not to worry that is a phase. We would always just tell him to slow down. Sure enough as soon as it started- it stopped. He is now 4 and speaks very well.
    janessa27

Answer by janessa27 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My daughter is going through the same thing! She was always verbally spoken, and well for her age. She is 3 and is going through a stuttering stage, we also have to tell her to slow down. I'm glad to see that we arent the only ones going through this! I was really concerened and went back and forth about taking her to a speech therapyst but her Pediatrician also said that its more likely just a stage.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have close friend's daughter who did this around the age of three. She did some reading and found out that some kids go through a stage of stuttering and then it usually clears up.

Here is a useful article about it, http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/stutter.html

TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 10:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2009