Reading the Bible...

I have never read the Bible, but have decided to do so. I wasn't raised very religious and only went to church occasionally and I have a lot of questions that I'm hoping can be answered by reading it. Maybe it will help me finally decide what I believe. So my question is: Where should I begin reading? Start at the beginning, the middle, a certain chapter? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that you would need someone to guide you through it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Start at the beginning and if possible get someone to help you understand what some of it means. If you ever have any questions please fill free to message me and i will try my best to help you. Congratulations on deciding to take that first step. As a born again Christian i welcome you into the family with open arms.

group hug

rose549

Answer by rose549 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• There are books that you can get to guide you through the bible. Try a book store or google it. There are also books to help you get through the Bible in a year. I really hope that I can get into it like I've been wanting to. I've really been slacking. Good Luck
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• they make bible books that help us to understand I had one when I was a teenager. It puts it in terms we can understand, but you may want to refer to your bible to see if you get the same from it.
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 10:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I recommend starting with the Gospel of John. Then Matthew and Mark and then Luke and Acts.

I recommend saving books like Leviticus and Deuteronomy, Revelations and some of Paul's Epistles until you have a better understanding of Christianity/God/Jesus.

If you have questions, feel free to stop by the Q&A section or join some of the religion groups on CM (you can PM me for ones that I personally like). You can PM me or I'm sure any one of us for our perspectives if you'd like as well :-)

There are some great books to guide you through the Bible as well. I recommend www.christianbook.com and searching using "one year" or "through the bible in one year." You'll get "one year Bibles" and devotionals that lead you through the Bible and can pick which one you think will help you best.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The Best place to start is the Gospel of John in the New Testament. That Book, more so than any other, deals with people as individuals and really shows how Jesus connects with each individual on a personal level.
    Ask the Holy Spirit to give you revelation & understanding of what you're reading and help you to apply it to your life on a daily basis. Take it slow and don't feel you have to read "X" number of chapters or pages every day. Sometimes, one verse is good and will give you a lot to meditate on for the day.

The Bible wasn't written to be read from beginning to end as a novel, but more so as a daily guide book for life. Skip around and let the Holy Spirit lead you to the scriptures that would most benefit you for that particular day. There's a really good book titled Bible Study Methods by Rick Warren that might be of help to you.

Best Wishes.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Everyone says to start with John, but I would actually start with Matthew - the first Gospel. I would read through the whole NT, and go from there.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree with the others who said start with the gospels. I'm not sure order is that important. But I wanted to add that a good translation is very important. King James is written at about a 12th grade level, NIV is about 8th grade level. I personally like NIV. Go to the Bible book store if you don't have a Bible yet and ask them to show you what they have, the different versions. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.

There is a good web site called Bible Gateway www.biblegateway.com, if you go to their additional resources link there will be a section called reading plans.  There is one that is just the great stories of the Bible, ex. the flood.  So there are many plans that can get you started too.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Thanks Everyone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree with NovmberLove. Thats how we did it in my Bible Study. Granted we bounced back and forth between the four books but I think it's a bit easie to start with the New Testament.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2009