Does anyone know details about after having a hysterectomy?

I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in about two months. I am super nervouse as I am only 33. I want another baby but my husband doesnt. I have really bad endometriosis and this is going to be my last option to help with the pain. I am wondering what the after effects are going to be. I have no idea what to expect. Anyone have any advice or comments?

becca652

Asked by becca652 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Health

• It's not real painful physically but emotionally it's hard especially if you want more children. I got endometriosis after having my children.  And I know all to well the pain that goes with it.  My advice would be go through with it and cry if you need to.  Never hold it in.  Then look at your kids and be thankful god gave you what he did. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:18 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I had a partial hysterectomy 4 days after my 38th birthday (still have my ovaries).  I had abdominal surgery and was in hospital for 3 days.  The first day I was in a lot of pain and discomfort but the second morning the nurse helped my up onto my feet and I felt sooooo much better.  When I got home I followed my doctor's recovery instructions to the letter for the required 6 weeks and practically bounced into her office for my post-op check.  That was 8 years ago and I have to say I have no regrets.

PM me if you have any other questions and  good luck.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have also had a partial hysterectomy(ovaries intact) mine was an outpaitient surgery, they kept me overnight for pain management....the only real problem I had was the nausea after the surgery kind of hit me hard overnight......I had a PCA pump for the pain med which was dc'd the morning after , oxygen which was dc'd, foley cath only overnight too...I was up and walking after breakfast and home by lunchtime....they will give you specifiics like no lifting for 6 weeks , no driving for the first 2 weeks.....just follow your doctors orders and you will be fine......BTW mine was for a prolapsed uterus...lots of pain before...none now....life is so much better now....you will see
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I had one three weeks ago. Kept ovaries. I stay overnight. I feel great I am back doing things. I had mine done due to CIN 3 ( pre cancer) I could not take the chance of it turning in to cancer you have to be well for your children. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF SO YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!
    Steffie32

Answer by Steffie32 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I forgot to add I am 32. I also wanted more children but you have to well.
    Steffie32

Answer by Steffie32 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2009