Are we doing the right thing?

My step son in 13. He has been in counseling for a short time - pretty erratic, however, since his mother is not the most responsible person in the world. Recently, his counselor's supervisor - a PhD psychiatrist - prescribed to him some drugs that made me and my husband raise our eyebrows. He prescribed Prozac - which from my research has proven to be possibly very harmful in children - for severe depression and clonidine for a "sleeping disorder", which we found out is actually used in treatment for ADHD and Tourette's syndrome - neither of which he has any symptoms of. Additionally, he doesn't show any signs of severe depression when in our home - only when he's at his mothers. He has expressed his complete aversion to taking medication for this, so my husband and I have decided that we will not be forcing him to take it while he is with us. I am concerned if weather we are doing the right thing. (cont')

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would get a second opinion rather than just not giving the meds.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• oh wow, honestly for some reason Psychs love to perscribe meds to kids. less now than in the past but its like they want ot be the ones who find the "break through" if hes only experiencing the problems at his moms, medication shouldnt have even been thought about!!! the symptoms are supposed to take place in 2 or more places!!! if your son doesnt want it, i wouldnt give it to him. keep working on the counseling, maybe change counselors, or get a second opinion. but there are def. more options than medication!!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree. Don't give him that crap. I use 5htp for depression. That's over the counter and I swear by it but if his depression is circumstantial then remove the circumstances. Get full custody of him. Use the need for the dr as evidence she's harming the boy emotionally. Sad what some parents do to harm their own children. Help me by getting him away from her. Nix on the meds. They just have way too many side effects.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have done a lot of research on both drugs and with what I've found out plus how he feels about it, I know in my heart that we are doing the right thing. However, I know that we will be starting a huge battle with his mother over this situation. I don't want her to feel that we are undermining her authority, but he feels bullied and pressured by her, and is therefore afraid to stand up for himself in this matter. We want to sit down with her and show her the research we've done and talk to her about it rationally. But part of me wonders if he really IS having problems that big and we're just not seeing it. But on the other hand, at 13 years old, should he have the right to choose? We feel that he should at least be in counseling for at least another 6 months before medication is even an option - if counseling is not helping, THEN we know there's a need for it. Sorry for the novel - I'm just really concerned about this.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• there are many things you can do with the diet that can help too....but it sometimes takes a lot of work.

I'd get a second opinion
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• With those meds you CANNOT pick and chose when he takes them. Especially with Prozac, that will cause withdrawls and can cause more harm than good. If you don't like the treatments he is recieving then DAD needs to go to his sons appointments and talk to the staff himself. Mental health treatment is a watch and see approach. It takes time and patience to find the right combination of treatments for each individual. Some disorders are harder to treat than others. Don't assume when someone is in treatment that certain things don't work or aren't right.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I don't agree with giving kids meds unless it is absolutely necesssary, however I also think it is dangerous for him to be on prozac part of the time and then off of it for a few days. Very dangerous to play with drugs that way. I think you need to get a second opinion and then meet with a mediator and dr. to come up with a plan for him.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Question..in my state i know when i turned 12 i could pick who i wanted to live with, have you thought of having him talk to someone to try to get full custoday. it sounds like his mother is the worst thing for him, maybe hed be happier in your home. i know it might be hard for him to tell his mom he doesnt want to live with her, but in the long run itll be much healthier for him!? just a thought...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• would def. get a second opinion. and find out what the effects would be if he doesnt take the meds while at your house and then does take them at his moms? idk- i wouldnt want my child on prosac either but you should get some profession advice and info rather than just deciding yourselves...IMO. good luck.
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would get a second opinion and fight for custody; perhaps you could get a court order to prevent her giving the meds until you have gotten a second opinion.

Erratically taking meds can be as dangerous as taking unsuitable meds.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2009