Sotomayor refuses to acknowledge constitutional right to 2nd Amendment. How do you feel about the potential loss of your right to keep and bear arms?

THERE IS NO LINK. The question and following info come from the live telecast of her hearing on tv now. You might be able to google some transcripts.

Senator Coburn questioned Sotomayor at length this am. Despite numerous questions she refused to acknowledge the 2nd amendment as being a constitutional right held by everyone. Her answer to several of the questions regarding it was that she couldn't "interpret" that and that there was no "supreme court precedent" in which to make a ruling.

It is the JOB of the supreme court justices to interpet the constitution and make rulings accordingly.

Additionally, she would not even affirm the individual right of self defense.

Once again, THERE IS NO LINK. This info came from the live hearings taking place right now.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yet she "empathizes" with drug dealers and gang members. What a winner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i don't think that they should have the right.
    my husband says that they can take his from his dead hands so does my dad brother and every man i know.
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You are misinterpreting her stance. She believes in the second amendment, that it refers to the INDIVIDUAL and NOT the STATE. She had a ruling on this as well.

She is, at this moment not a justice so for her to interpret the law without a case in front of her would be soley hypothetical

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I think the gun industry is going to experience another surge in sales if Sotomayor becomes a justice. I also think there will be a real danger to our 2nd amendment.

Personally, they will have to pry the guns and a copy of the constitution out of my cold dead hands because I won't simply go quietly into the night.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It really is not a surprise, I saw this coming from the minute O was elected. Thats what people dont understand, I am from the South and did not vote for Obama not because of his color but because of his views. Guns, Immigration, Climate bill, health reform and abortion just to name a few.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Everyone has the right to bear arms but I am one of those gun control people that doesn't see it necessary to have 23 guns and assault riffles.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'm definitely not this woman's biggest fan. If there is "no supreme court precedent", she has but only one place to look, our Constitution. There she will find any answer she needs.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• doesn't see it necessary to have 23 guns and assault riffles

Why, what about collectors of antiques??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The problem is it doesn't rule out the state. The 2nd amendment is for everyone, doesn't matter what state you are in. In her ruling it gave lead to individual states being able to enact gun laws. Peopel who believe in the 2nd amendment are for everyone being able to have arms and no one being able to take them away.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• This admin is about taking away our rights (well they will allow women the right to continue to murder their babies might force us to do this down the line) and expanding our government so they are in control of all aspects of our lives. We homeschool and know soon our right to do so will be gone. We will go underground. The schools are nothing more than liberal indoctrination grounds and we will not subject our kids to that. They read everything and are allowed to make up their own mind on things. We are not liberal or conservative we are libertarians and wished there were more of us out there. Things would not be so bad if there were.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2009