For those with daycare babies.

Do you find that your infant isn't getting enough sleep? I've heard that daycares are notorious for not giving infants enough sleep. It's understandable, since they are supposed to nap in the same room as a bunch of other kids. I'm starting to see that my 4 mos. old is def. not getting enough naps during the day and is coming home overtired. What did you do? IT's an excellent center otherwise, I just think it's too noisy for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless you absolutely HAVE to work (single mom or SO with bad job), stay home and raise your own baby. They do so much better one on one with their mommy, and they stay on their schedule and get more rest and loving interaction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• talk to the center about their nap times...they try to put alll the kids on the same schedule and that makes it kinda hard for your child. and i know when my son goes to his other grandmas he comes home WIRED becuase so many people are in his face, hes unruly for a few days. but i get him back on track....just check into their nap times, and request your daughter get more rest, if they cant follow your guidelines, i dont know what to say. i looked into a daycare, but i cant find one for the hours i need!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Um, I actually like working. I could stay home but I absolutely do not want to do that. In my opinion, it is not only the man's job to go out and work, it is also the woman's job. I provide excellent insurance for my baby and am able to provide a nice home. When she grows up she will have an example of a working , educated woman who can have children and a career. Not of a mom who stayed home and sacrificed everything. I'm sorry, that's just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Hey, don't let her get to you. I love my job, too! :) My daughter has been in day care since 8 weeks. She loves it and never had any problems sleeping. They were actually concerned that she was sleeping too much! Do you do anything at home when she's sleeping? I had the TV on, or the dog barking, etc during naps. I didn't make it quiet and dark just for naps. So she adapted well. Some kids just dont' like the noise and the lights, but it can't be avoided. Their schedules vary greatly so it's not usually an option to turn off the lights or make all the kids quite at once. If you are having problem, talk to her teachers and she what option they can come up with. There may be a quite corner they can put her in for naps or maybe a swing would help her sleep better. Maybe you can bring in one of those heartbeat teddy bears and that noise might help drawn out some of the kid noises. cont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I had some issues with that from time to time, especially when they were transitioning from one phase to another. When they were in the infant room I had them add an additional nap at the end of the day for my babies so they would be able to spend some quality time with the family when we got home. The daycare was generally very willing to accomodate my requests, but some days did not go as well as others. I'd say talk to your daycare and let them know that you are having a problem at home because your baby is overtired - ask them what they might be able to do to help, and if they don't have any ideas then make some suggestions. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• ... cont. Around a year they will be on a set schedule with lights out and a set nap time. It'll get much better then. But even then if one kid doesn't sleep well, he/she can keep the others up, too.

Also ask the teachers if they notice anything about her sleeping habits. Maybe she uses a blanket at home, but not at day care. Maybe propping up the crib a bit would help or maybe a blanket over the crib (assuming they have sides that are breathable) would help with the light. There might be something waking her up such as the sound of a baby crying or certain music and maybe you can help baby get used to those same noises at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2009