Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick Custody Question

My ex and I do not have a court ordered custody agreement. I have been told that because of this he could keep the kids and there is really nothing I could do about it except take him to court, even if he moved outside the state. I was just wondering if the same goes for me and if it would hurt me in court if I moved to another state right now? I have been offered a great job in OK and am really wanting to take it, we live in MO right now.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • Laws vary state to state....

    check out this website

    Answer by Dannee at 11:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • i know in my state if you take the child out of the state without fathers permission it could be considered kidnapping. so you definitely want to check into it before you move. but call a lawyer find out and move. i think laws like this are crazy. it gives parents who dont want much to do with their kids control over the situation....

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • Do a consultation with a lawyer. Often a judge would not hold one parent back from moving to a job they could not get locally, but the moving parent may be responsible for transportation back to the other parent.

    Answer by happytexasCM at 11:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • how do u not have a custody agreement? were you never married? does the dad see the kids regularly? i would ask an attorney what you should do, but hubby has been through quite a few custody battles with his ex and he says he would move and then file for a custody order. if its for a job, he doesnt think they will hold it against you. IMO-i would make sure you let them call their dad and tell him he can visit (if you think he would do that without drama) and keep a journal of these calls and visit.

    Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • It varies from state to state. You should find out from your local family court or get a free lawyer consultation.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 11:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • No we were never married and we have been split up for a year now. He has seen the kids once since then and hasn't paid a dime of child support as of January. He lives almost 3 hours away with his girlfriend and her kids. He doesn't have a job at all.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • I would still go to a lawyer for a consult. Your ex may pick this opportunity to make your life h*ll just for the fun of it.

    Answer by happytexasCM at 1:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.