can someone help me, I think I am about to freak out!

I took my ds to the doctors for a routine check up (call myself being ahead of the game for school) well, he did a urine test and the doctor said they found a little blood in his urine. To me that sounds bad, cancer popped up in my mind. I asked him what did that mean and he said probably nothing a virus or something to tell the truth, I don't remember what he sais after that. I think I got my sense back, he said to bring in another sample next week so they could check it. I am so scared, tears keep swelling up in my eyes...he is only six. Imay be jumping the gun but i just don't know what to think. 1 hr I am fine, then the next I start freakin out. He hasn't has any symptoms, he drinks tons of water. I can remember his urine smelling strong but that's it. Has anyone else ever experience this? Thanks

websavvy

Asked by websavvy at 11:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it could be something as simple as he got whacked in the testicles playing, or has a bladder infection, or simply a cold or virus. don't worry too much.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Thank you, I will try not to.
    websavvy

Answer by websavvy at 11:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/AdviceFromDoctors/YourChildsHealth/yourchildshealthhematuria

This info sounded helpful. Don't stress mama, prob. nothing big
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Its probably a UTI ... nothing to worry about, if it was that serious the doc would have told you so.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If there was a chance it was something serious, I'm sure the dr would have said something. You say he was there for a routine physical. They check kids out pretty thoroughly (at least at our dr office, they do), which means the dr would have noticed if there were other symptoms. If this blood (and you say it was a small amount), is the only thing the dr found, I would guess it's nothing big. That's why he wants another sample in a week. If it's still there, then he may do some more testing. With it being the only symptom, it could be absolutely nothing. Maybe your son came off his bike seat onto the metal bar kind of hard, or got hit in the groin area with something. I wouldn't worry too much; try to put it in perspective: small amount of blood, no other symptoms. Probably nothing to worry about. Good luck! :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You are ahead of the game ....my son's doctor doesn't even include a urine sample as part of the routine tests! My suggestion would be to not even think about it until next week, then do as the doctor suggested and have another test done. Put off your worrying...it will probably turn out to be nothing at all!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Blood in the urine can be caused by a UTI, or physical injury. DH had to go on antibiotics when his came back with blood. No biggie, stop over worrying yourself.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• keep cool stressing isnt going to help anyone or the situation. there was one time my baby might have had tescular deficiancy or soemthing like that where his testical would not drop or what ever they did an ultrasound didn't see anything wrong but they told me to come back in for another ultrasound i was freaking out and made everything worse for everyone because of it during that week since that is called for surgery if he did have it, but a week later he was fine
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2009