What age should my child be before I start looking into Pre-K Programs?

My daughter is 2 and I was curious as to when someone would suggest I start looking into pre-k programs and how old does the child have to be to enroll I think its 4 but not sure.

roseygirl1987

Asked by roseygirl1987 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to Mom's in your area about programs they like and go from there. We have an hour long Lunch Bunch that starts at 2.5 at our local rec center and my neighbors love it. They have programs all the way up to age 5 here. As far as anything with any "academic" slant to it- I would wait until age 4. But as far as socialization and maybe some new friends for you daughter and you any age is great!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my son turned 3 in march and is starting a 3 yr old program in august. its not state funded. but the same preschools 4 yr old program is. it is done through a local church and is full. you have to make sure to get in early here cuz it fill up fast~! we registered in may
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 11:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I think it's never too early to find out what is available where you live. I think it can vary depending on where you live and whether you are talking about public or private schools. If you are wanting to know about public preschool programs, then call your local school district (they might also know about private options in your area). When my oldest was preschool aged the school district we lived in offered pre-K-3 and pre-K-4 to ALL children in the district, so she started to school half-day when she was 3. Where I live now, my twins will not qualify for public pre-K, but the daycare I have them in does have a learning curriculum. I have nieces and nephews who started school in other states where pre-K and kindergarten were not offered to them by the public school system, and they were enrolled in private school until 1st grade.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:44 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Thank you
    roseygirl1987

Answer by roseygirl1987 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• 4 for pre k & 3 for a 3yr old program like headstart if your town has something like that...
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Pre-K i believe is mostly age 4. But they do have some programs for younger ages. More like and actualy preschool setting.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Call your school district and ask them your questions.
    Anonymous

• Pre-K is specifically right before kindergarten but there are preschool programs for kids as young as 2.5 or 3.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009