Should a 72 year old woman permitted to have IVF?

Woman, 72, Spends Thousands on IVF Trying to Become World's Oldest Mother
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
A 72-year-old woman who has already spent $62,000 on fertility treatments in an effort to give birth is about to try again.

If successful with what will be her seventh course of in vitro fertilization, Jenny Brown will become the world's oldest mother.

The world's oldest mother was Maria del Carmen Bousada Lara, who gave birth to twin boys seven days before her 67th birthday in 2006. Bousada died Saturday of breast cancer, sparking fears that the disease was triggered by the hormones she used to facilitate her pregnancy.

"Any mother can die at any age,” said Brown, a former academic who has never had a long-term partner. “I hope to live to 100, but I'll ask one of my younger friends to be a guardian in case.”

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,532721,00.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Do I think it's a good idea? No.

Do I think she should be banned from doing it? No. It's her body, her life, her health. Why should any government agency prevent her from doing this? What business is it of the governments? Or mine?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY NOT! This is sick that they are even allowing her to go through these treatments! No no no no no! I can't imagine that it will EVER work since her body has naturally not been able to have kids for a long time now but if it does, God help us all and those poor little ones. What a selfish sick woman. She needs serious help.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i think its wrong to have a baby for the "fame" of being the worlds oldest mother. its true that you can die at any age, but IMO her chances are larger than mine. i think she is selfish and there should be a cut off age for something like this.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My first thought when I read about this this morning was wow what a woman then it turned into isn't this extremely dangerous for a woman of her age? Did she already go through menopause? Is it unhealthy to start all that up again? Is this a stunt? I just hope that whatever happens it's all for the best.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• test tube baby? I think she is to old to become a "first time mother". There must be some kind of regulations pertaining in-vitro fertilization.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I don't think vit is ok because my hubbys parents were his dad passed aaway when he was very young and he had a very hard time dealing with not haning a dad . I mean how is that child gonna feel when it is young and alawys on the go and the mom has to take it slow, I mean there is a reason god has us have kids when we are younger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• no
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• NO
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I really don't see a problem with it. If her doctors think she's healthy enough to do it, and she has lots of support with family and friends, I say more power to her.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Selfish woman! The notion that professional woman have "everything" is completely erased when I read the article. Working woman spend thousands on face-lifts, wardrobe to look professional, etc. in the end we all are the same we being put on this planet to procreate and take care of our children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2009