Can you afford to go to church?

I have not been to church in a while, but I just realized-alot of people I know have not been going because they can't afford it. My neighbors husband was injured and use to give 10% of his income, help around the church and of course volunteer his time. He has not been there in months, not a call, not nothing, go figure. Is that not sad, how can you not afford to go to church??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If i was in a church that made me feel pressured to give that 10% then i wouldnt continue going. I want to give what i can...but if hes injured, his income changed, so he wouldnt be giving the same amount if he believed in that anyway. ....thats just me....ive gotten in arguments over the 10% thing many times over, mostly because i dont understand it. and no one has ever explained it to me!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• What religion is your neighbor, because it sounds like my freinds 10% of income well I am sorry but that is alot especially this day and age and the state of our economy and then for the church to turn its back??? WOW There are lots of reasons I guess, it cost gas to get there and maybe they feel like they can't aford it in that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I can't afford to go because the closest bible believing church is quite a ways from me, and my vehicle isn't very good. I have to reserve it for doctor visits, and groceries.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• No church has the right to demand a tithe, the 10 % you speak of. And most do not. Please don't let one bad church spoil your view of all churches.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Can you really afford NOT to be a tither and fail to receive what that offers?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i can afford to go, but i would never feel pressured to give a certain amount. give what you can or not at all...im sure God doesnt mind what you give @ a church. this is for colleenf30 if you want to go, but dont have a way, usually your church van will provide transportation.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 12:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• When I go to church, I give a tithe, but i know it's nowhere near 10%. I do my best though. I understand it helps with upkeep of the church and to pay reverends and such (i think?), So i do try to give some money. But, I have never felt pressured to give it. If I don't give it, I dont feel like people are going to look at me badly.

We go occassionally to my in-laws church and the preacher even tells people who are visiting to not put money in, just to fill out a visitors card and tell about themselves and put that in the basket.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• That is really sad that he was that involved, and the pastor didn't call when he stopped coming. We have a relative who happened to be Catholic and she went to mass daily. But she died in the next parish and the priest refused to cross the parish lines to see her in the hospital or do her funeral. Very sad. That is not what the church is about.  There are small people everywhere.

Anonymous

------------------
    I agree with you Kim.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• OK, GUYS. I MIGHT HAVE MADE A MISTAKE ON THE PERCENT BUT YES, SOME CHURCHES DO ASK FOR A PERCENT. I ONLY GAVE WHAT I COULD, TO KEEP THE PLACE GOING, PAY FOR RENT AND ALL THAT STUFF ISN'T THAT WHAT IT IS FOR, AND HELP THE COMMUNITY OF COURSE.
    Anonymous