ADHD Child

I have a step son who has no contact with his real mom I am begining to think that some of his problems have to do with this. Can anyone help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think your question is too vague...as a special education teacher I thought I could help but not enough information.
    pierresmom

Answer by pierresmom at 12:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Need more info to offer advice. I don't see how the two have anything to do with each other.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• How old is he? How long since he had contact with bm? How is his behavior? Have you ever lookedup the signs of RAD?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• He is almost 10. He has had not any contact with his mom for at least 5 years.  His behavior is not all that bad.  It  is just that he flat don't listen to anything we say and I mean nothing, and he is getting aggressive toward his brothers and sister.  I take to a therapist about this and he doesn't think he has add, adhd or odd which is what he is said to have.  he told me kids are mistreated for these all the time. He wanted to know if there was any sexual abuse.  My mother and father in law have foster kids and I will say some of them are great kids but some of them are real duzies.  I don't know much about anything outside of add adhd and odd.  What are some of the signs of sexual abuse. or this RAD?

shayla49ers

Answer by shayla49ers at 10:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• RAD is Reactive Attachment Disorder. Does he have a good bond with you? Also at 10, hormone surges come into play too. Diet also makes a difference. Is he eating a lot of processed foods, caffeine, artificial colors & flavors, soda pop? A lot of exercise? Socializing outside of his siblings? Does he get much one on one time with you or dad? Try making a mom/dad & son date.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yes he has a very good bond with me I think but only for the last 3 years nothing with anyone before that. He plays sports and is very active he doesn't eat a lot of junk because I conseder myself a very good and healthy cook. He has freinds but he doesn't do a lot with them to young yet and some parents are very over protective. He does get one on one time because sometimes he is the only kid around we go fishing and enjoy stuff out doors. I was reading on RAD and a lot of the stuff they were saying were very true his dad and mom weren't togeather after about 4 months and she left so he has no one to call mom. He has a grandmother that always has told him things that effect his attitude toward everyone. THe kind that exagerates everything.
    shayla49ers

Answer by shayla49ers at 2:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2009