Ready for Toddler bed...

We're getting ready to try switching our dd to a toddler bed and wondered what's the best way to make this transition. I am 33 weeks pregnant and the new baby and dd will share the same room - so we are leaving the toddler bed and the crib in that room. I want to switch dd toddler bed onto the same wall her crib has always been on and move the crib to another wall. Should I move the room all around and then that night put her to sleep in her toddler bed? Or should I put her to sleep in the crib? Or put her to sleep in the toddler bed and once she's okay sleeping in it then move the room all around? It's a lot of change so I want to do what's best for her...

Any suggestions for this transition will be great! (fyi - not putting baby in the room right away - he will sleep in my room for at least 1st month so there is still some time before that change happens).

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure but maybe you could ask her how she'd like her room to be set up. It might make the transition easier since she had a hand in the rearranging. Since she'd be involved it wouldnt be a huge shock.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I am always moving my DD's furniture around in her bedroom. She never has had a problem with it. When we moved, and put the crib back together in a new place, we didn't attatch the front of her crib, making it a toddler bed. It was fine. Good luck, tho.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 1:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Take the crib down.

When the baby is here, put the crib back up. By that time, the toddler will be used to the new bed and should be sleeping well.

If you leave the crib up, you're going to have more trouble because she will see her crib, want to be back in her crib. she will fight and cry because she sees her crib and you're not letting her in it. Then when you bring the baby home and put the baby in the crib, she will be jealous of the baby because the baby took her crib!!

Take the crib away, get her into her toddler bed (which are a waste of money, just go to a twin in my opinion). By the time you need the crib for the baby, she'll be used to her new bed and you're much less likely to have the negative reactions.

Toddler bed up, crib away, sleep for the first time for nap (not as dark) then continue as normal for night time routine.
    Anonymous