Do mormons drink caffine?

I am having mormon missionaries over soon and I heard somewhere they don't drink caffine, is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its suggested they dont but some do.

Just ask them if they'd like XYZ or ABC.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• They can drink certain caffines, in like soda's or chocolate, it's coffee they can't have and it's a chemical thats in the coffee bean itself, hense they dont' even drink decaff
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Generally they don't, but I've seen some that do, more out of politeness. I talked to a mormon friend and the basic philosophy is that is it is not good for the body, they don't eat/drink it, but they are also taught not to overanalize each thing and not call attention to themselves by refusing foods. If I were you, I'd brew a pot, but have a tea kettle ready to go and ask "Can I offer you some coffee or an herbal tea?" and just go with the flow.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The word of wisdom speaks of not drinking hot drinks,etc. Caffeine being a part of that because its in teas and coffees and is known to not be the greatest thing to take into your body(body is your temple and all that).

So, the suggestion is not to partake of it. HOWEVER, because its one of those items that has a fine line to it some do eat chocolate and drink sodas while others avoid it completely.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• So the Mormon church suggests no hot drinks? But soda then wouldn't be an issue? I'm confused. Anyone out there can quote from the mormon books exactly what is acceptable and not.
    Anonymous

• I always offer koolaid, juice, or some kid sodas (you know grape orange the good stuff) If it is something they do not drink they will just nicly say no or ask for water instead.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I live in Utah and am a FORMER mormon. (Emphasis on the former) There is no defnitive word about caffeine. It is coffee, tea, and alcohol they don't drink. coffe and tea because of the tannic acids.
    mawfia

Answer by mawfia at 5:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The World of Wisdom says to avoid hot drinks. It says nothing of caffeine. If it were caffeine, many Mormons would be in big trouble. Especially since they replace bars with chocolate fountains at weddinds. lol

Alcohol wasn't even apart of the Word of Wisdom. Bringha Young opened breweries and whisky distaliers when they settled in Utah.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Here is from their lds.org site....
    "The Lord counseled the Saints to not use wine, strong drinks, tobacco, and hot drinks, D&C 89: 1-9"

That gives you the scriptural reference and what that scripture entails.

Strong drinks aka alcoholic.

"Obedience to the Word of Wisdom brings temporal and spiritual blessings, D&C 89: 18-21".

As Ive said before its advised to not partake but that isnt a strict doctrinal rule therefore some do and some do not.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Thank you for the references, one more question, does the book say why?

OP- I'm sorry for hijacking your question, but its really interesting.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2009