My son is very afraid of thunderstorms...we are currently experiancing one! Any tips on how to calm his fears?! I have tried every trick I know..

LadyLuck13

Asked by LadyLuck13 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter used to be sooo afraid of Thunder and lightning storms. I used to put her favorite movie on and turn the volume up really loud. I would set her sit on her little couch in her room and I would put all her pillows around her and give her her favorite blanket. It was a little scetchy at first but now when theres a storm she goes in her room, gets her pillow and blanket and asks me to put the movie on. Just a thought.
    Oldham80

Answer by Oldham80 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I don't know how religous you are but we aren't very religous but I tell all my girls that its god bowling. Everytime the big BOOM hits the angels hit a strike.. My father died before he ever met any of his grand daughters so I sometimes tell them its there grandpa bowling with jesus. It helps them feel better and think of storms as something from god so it doesn't make it so scary. Actually my oldest enjoys it now she thinks its neat and the louder they get she thinks they bowled a strike.
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i have three kids my two oldest were never affraid of storms but my 3 yr old will wake up crying if it starts storming and i put him in bed but if it starts storming throungh the day we sit by the sliding glass door and watch it i tell him it water all the flowers and it wont hurt you he is getting better i think just him seeing it helped alot
    WvMommyof3

Answer by WvMommyof3 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My youngest son used to be TERRIFIED of thunderstorms. If we had one in the middle of the night he would scream and cry and hyperventilate. During the day wasn't as bad but he would still be afraid. He's not afraid of them anymore, he just outgrew it I guess. I just held him and told him it was God making noise and watering the flowers to make them grow. Maybe try giving him a CD player or mp3 player with some headphones and some nice soothing music would help.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Don't try to tell him "it's just thunder" b/c then you're giving him the message that you don't care that he's afraid. Try to let him know in a gentle way that thunder is just a noise & ask him what you can do to help. Take him out on the back porch & let him watch the lightning... that could help.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My boys weren't afraid of thunderstorms until my mother in law put it in their head that they should be..gggrrr...( she's afraid) So when it starts, I do the opposite, and make it out to be a really cool thing. We look out the windows, talk about how loud it is, and how the noise is way up in the sky, and can never come near us. I've also gotten all their blankets and pillows and snuggle them in on the couch. I think its the sudden noise that scares them. Talk about how its coming, and prepare them for the noise.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 9:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2008