How did you overcome the first day of Pre-school jitters? And I'm not talking about the student:)

I know it's going to be hard for my little guy come this Sept when he starts pre-school. Can any of you share how you both overcame the frightening situation? Any tips on making it an easier transition? Because my son requires therapy (speech & OT), he's attending an all day pre-school (5x per week, 9am - 2:30p). He's not great with social situations, and he's got a little issue with separation anxiety.

We've been driving by the school as much as we can. And he has been inside already.

thomas1117

Asked by thomas1117 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There really is no easy transition. You take them, stay untill the bell rings, kiss them good bye, tell them you love them and then leave. Then go in your car and cry and cry, but do not cry infront of your child. They may cry and throw a fit, but it is usually short lived and for your benefit only lol. Because it's going to be a very long day for him, expect the transition to take a little longer, unless he's been in daycare. But be loving and firm and it will work out
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Talk about school constantly. Talk about how Mommy will drive/walk him there and drop him off and pick him up later. Talk about lunch time, nap time if they have it, 'recess', all the new friends he will make etc. The first day is usually chaos in the morning. Know what the routine is before you get there. Typically it is sign in, put stuff in cubby go to classroom or morning group gathering. Try to get a grip on the Sep. Anciety now. Find someone who can watch him for 15-30 mins. Do that several times, then a bit longer each time untiol he is better about knowing you are coming back. Make drop off SHORT. A lot of kids melt down..but id parents give hugs, kisses goodbyes and leave they usually are fine within 5 minutes. Long extended goodbyes cause MORE anxiety to kids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you are excited and talk it up as a big adventure, he will start to absorb and reflect your enthusiasm. Children are mirrors. They reflect what they see.
    Shmop

Answer by Shmop at 1:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You take them to school, you drop them off, say your good byes and walk away.

You are there when school lets out to get him.

You enjoy a little time away.

He's already receiving services, so he has an IEP. The teachers should know about it, they'll know of his challenges, they're prepared to help him as he needs it.

I'm not seeing where there should be any anxiety on your part.
    Anonymous

• I totally see why you have anxiety and I don't blame you one bit! My 4 yr. old is starting preschool also and she has major anxiety issues and the thought of leaving her makes me very uneasy but I know I have to do it to get her ready for kindergarten.I agree tALKING ABOUT IT POSITIVELY IS A GOOD THING BUT i DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD DWELL ON IT CONSTANTLY.i DID THIS ALL DAY YESTERDAY AND SHE HAd NIGHTMARES LAST NIGHT AND KEPT YELLING IN HER SLEEP.mENTION IT AND TALK ABOUT IT AT LEAST ONCE A DAY BUT i THINK MAYBE TAKING A MORE CASual approach,you know very matter-of-fact look at it is the way to go.Good luck-to both of us.And p.s. I think we're going to need that good cry in the car! (sorry I accidentally hit the caps lock button half way through)
    lakegrglovr

Answer by lakegrglovr at 2:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Try to go inside several more times before school starts.
    Also get some storybooks about school jitters and being left alone. Llama Llama Misses Mama is cute.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• when you get there, don't stick around. i know it sounds harsh especially if he's crying and stuff, but walk out. (after saying i love you several times) i do this with my son and works because then he canfocus on how he's feeling and then it's playtime!!!! he forgets all about me dropping him off and now is even happy to go and play. but my son's older sister's mom (i know, i know) will draw out her goodbyes and let her daughter cry and carry on and every time she drops her off it's the same thing. i think it's important not to play into too much and allow them to take to it in their own way.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2009