baby food making

my 5 month old has been eating baby food, but i wanted to start making my own. i am making mashed potatoes for supper tonight. can he have those since they will have regular milk in them? or is that a no no? thanks

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 12:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when they were little I'd just cook extra veggies and puree or smush.

as for the potatoes, take some out before you add the extras. and serve baby the plain ones.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Some of the other moms may tell you no due to the milk. I wouldn't give my son the ones we had as a family because I normally put salt in them. But once the potatoes are boiled, you could scoop some out and mix them with breastmilk or formula, or even water for him and keep them unsalted while you mash up everyone else's the way your family likes them. I would mix my son's with milk but keep out the salt. His dr said small amounts of milk to mix in with things was okay. He's 8 months now and eats almost everything we eat together as a family, minus as much salt and sugar as I can keep out. It's much easier than doing the whole baby food thing.

Answer by missanc at 1:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• ive been trying to get my son to eat table food, were not having much luck...but hes getting there...i would keep things as bland as possible for now, but yep i would give my son potatoes..i season all of our food, so i agree with the other moms about the season free stuff...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Dairy is an allergy trigger & should not be given to babies before one.
    Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal, starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.The best book on feeding babies, toddlers & their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my baby girl is 4 months and i started her of with chicken and vegetables all smosh either by hand or in the blender judt remember that the baby is barely starting to eat so be careful not to overfeed with food as so there food has to have some kind of liquid so they can swallow right but if not try to give them a little bit of milk so it can sweallow the food and not choke
    Yesika951

Answer by Yesika951 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2009