I don't push too much...but...

My 19mo is a really eager learner. He runs around the house counting to ten and when we are eating, we recite the alphabet together. I was wondering, am a being a pushy mom if I get some kind of flashcards (or different colored toys) and try to teach him his colors? I don't want people to think I'm making him learn all of this (his sister taught him 1-10 and the ABCs) he's just been picking up so much, I want him to learn if he wants to.

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you are not pushy for trying to encourage and teach your child. we went to barns and nobles and got my son flash cards and we are in the process of teaching him shapes, colors, and letters. he is developementally delayed and dont know how delayed he is in the learning area so we figured if we start trying to teach him now-he will know what he is supposed to know by kindergarden. btw he is 2 1/2
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• No your not pushing him he prob thinks its a fun game when my little girl was that age when she took a bath everynight we would say the name of every color shampoo and soap that was in the tub she loved it and would always call pink cotton candy lol then if i said it was cotton candy she said no it pink we would play back and forth her say a color then me......they learn so much when they are little
    Anonymous

• I would go with the different colored toys rather than flash cards. There's so much you can teach kids just with stuff you have around the house - talk about how the grass is green, the stop sign is red, the sky is blue, etc. Kids are little sponges and they soak up everything.

Answer by missanc at 1:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• That's not pushy at all! if he's not interested and you force it on him - that's pushy. If he's doing that well already then try and see how he takes learning colors but definitely don't push if he doesn't want to.
    Anonymous

• Why not, it's not pushy if he's interested in it. My daughter just turned 20 months. I've been showing her colors and asking her questions like which one is green? or whatever. She somehow picked up counting to 10, not that she knows what she is doing, she just says it. She doesn't know her letters, but she kind of knows what they are because whenever she sees them she points to them and says "E!" So I say teach him as much as you can while he's interested.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• 10 years ago, people would think you were crazy... but not today! Preschoolers are expected to now know what most kids of years past didn't learn until they were nearly first graders.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Nahh, sounds good. Don't be surprised if he doesn't pick up colors as fast. Those are harder to master than nouns.
    Anonymous

• Yay! Teach on, girl. If he's interested, go for it. Don't see why not.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 1:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Why? Einstein Never Used Flashcards.

It's a great book.

Why flashcards? What color is his bowl? What color is his cup? What color is his ball? What color is his blanket?

Why do you need flashcards?
    Anonymous

• ur not being pushy,everyone wants a smart kid,were working on those with our 13month old,as long as u keep it fun for him
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2009