My son is very stubburn with the potty?

My oldest son is about 3 1/2. He will sit on the potty just fine, and pee in it just fine. However, he isn't understanding when he does and doesn't have to go. I ask him about every half hour and take him at least every hour. He goes pee in the toilet every time he sits on it, but sometimes pees in between the askings. Sometimes he forces himeself to pee on the potty because he likes the excitement, but I don't know if that's good for him. I have tried incentives (toys, diego, ect) but nothing catches his attention enough to persue this. We've tried rewarding with cany when he does pee, and I think that's why he pees everytime, but he won't let me know in between. Am I pushing this too fast? My daughter was mucheasier to trian though she was trained late as well, but hers was an over night thing, and he is showing no interest in going on te potty. I'm just thinking that he's a little big to still wear diapers.

mammacjjc85

Asked by mammacjjc85 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I TRIED TO POTTY TRAIN MY SON AROUND 3. HE WAS SO HARD TO POTTY TRAIN. THE ONLY WAY WE GOT HIM BROKE IS WE LIVED IN THE COUNTRY AND HAD A BIG TRASH WHOLE WHERE WE BURNED OUR TRASH. EVERY MORNING HE WOULD WAKE UP AND GO RIGHT TO THE TRASH WHOLE AND PEE. HE WOULDN'T GO TO THE RESTROOM TO PEE HE ALWAYS HED TO GO OUTSIDE.OF COURSE WE MOVED TO OKC WHEN HE WAS 4 AND HE STILL WOKE UP IN THE MORNING TO PEE OFF THE FRONT PORCH SO WE HAD TO TELL HIM AND GET HIM TO START PEEING IN THE BATHROOM. MY DD WAS SO MUCH BETTER TO POTTY TRAIN. GL
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Put him in underwear exclusively (except at night). He needs to feel the wetness. If he's in diapers he can't feel what he's doing. He'll catch on. :)
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I've tried putting him in thick underwear, with pants, thick underwear no pants, regular underwear with and without, and bear butt. He doesn't seem to care. But he hates me changing his diaper and having to wipe him when he's poopy...
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2009