How can I get my son to stop breastfeeding to sleep?

I can't get my son to sleep longer than 45 mins during the day with out waking back up and wanting to breastfeed back to sleep. Its like that all night long as well too. I've tried to put him to bed in the quiet alert stage and that has yet to work for me. I am desperate as to what to do. Please please help.

Kori0512

Asked by Kori0512 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you just have to be diligent about it and not comprimise.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Do you feed him right before you lay him down? I found that it worked well for me to have a period of "awake time" (reading, playing, snuggling, etc) between feeding and bed or nap time. I also found it useful to use a pacifier, my daughter would do the same thing and I soon found out that she wasn't necessarily hungry, she just wanted to suck on something. In addition to that, making him go longer between feedings will help because he will eat a full meal instead of "snacking" and will stay full longer. If hes crying, and obviously wants nothing but to eat, then feed him, but make sure you've checked everything else first.
    how old is he?
    I hope that was helpful and not confusing! good luck!
    Kylies_mommy72

Answer by Kylies_mommy72 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• how old is he? breastmilk is a pure food (unlike formula) and is digested quicker. as his stomach grows, he will begin to go longer between feedings.
    you just need to be patient, and very proud of yourself for giving your baby the perfect food

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Thank you for all of your comments.. My son is about 8 and a half months old. I've tried to No Cry Sleep Solutions book, although a great book, it is taking to long to get results. It has helped some what. I know my son is not doing it because he is hungry.. I feel he is doing it out of habbit and that is what leaves me feeling stuck.
    Kori0512

Answer by Kori0512 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You can try just rocking him to sleep, you might have to stand up and rock back and forth, pat him on the butt or back. I did this with my daughter and my now 2 year old son, it takes a few days for them to get used to not nursing and he will cry some, but in a week or so he will get the idea.Hope that helps.
    SKSmom24

Answer by SKSmom24 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my lil one is 13months and ebf baby,i always used a pacifir,but just last night she bite it so no pacy for her anymore, i have to rock her to sleep most nights,but i let her nurse to sleep for naps
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'm starting this with my baby. I was told by my doc. that she can def. sleep at least 6 hrs. at night, if not 8 as long as she's eating enough during the day. Last night she woke after about 4 hrs. wanting to eat and I made her wait. She was not happy with it at all, but I just stuck a paci in her mouth and kept going in every 10 mins. to check on her. I"m hoping she gets the hint and goes back to sleep . It's killing me.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my ped. told me she is waking out of habit. I hear that going in, patting them to sleep works after a few days. We just have to stay consistent.
    Anonymous

• My baby is 18 months and I nurse him back to sleep every time he wakes during a nap and at night. I have no problem with it because it helps him sleep better and it is good for him.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 8:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009