How long was your engagement?

How long were you engaged? My friend at work is so excited she got engaged to her fiance, but a couple months later they still haven't set a date - when she asks him, he says he's not ready. Shouldn't he have been ready when he asked her?

Asked by missanc at 1:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I was engaged 10 months. We set a date within a week of him proposing. But another friend of mine was engaged 2 years, and her now husband didn't want to set a date at first either. She said she was fine with it but I had to wonder. I personally think if you ask someone to marry you, than you should at least know some sort of time frame. But that is just my opinion.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It will be 5 months...We set the date for Oct 3 of this year. We were really excited and couldn't wait to set a date. I would be really upset if my DF wasn't ready...Actually pretty pissed. I would be like why did you ask me then?
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Our engagement will be 14 months long. We immediately started discussing dates after we got engaged, and had a date picked out within the first few months.

I would say that if you're "not ready" to get married, then don't propose. If someone does propose, you'd think they would have some kind of time in mind...within a few years at least.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Hubs and I were engaged for 8 months. He proposed in October, we got the ring(s) in December and then January we set the date.

Ideally if you ask someone to marry you - you have a general time frame for how long you want to be engaged. You do not get engaged and then say "oh, I am not ready". I think she needs to sit him down and tell him it is not fair of him to 'string her along' they need to set a date. It does not have to be right now, but at least a time frame so she can start planning the wedding. Some halls need to have advance notice and can book up fast.

I hope things work out!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I got engaged June 21st 1987 and I was married on July 9th 1988.

I hope you're impressed that I remembered that, because I sure as hell am! LOL.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Dated 1 year, engaged 14 months. I agree with the others, if your not ready to marry your not ready to be engaged.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• 13 months....but we always say we should have eloped...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 2:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Technically I was engaged for about four months. We did a secret wedding in Vegas. Our official wedding that our family knows about was about 2.5 years after our engagement. That was mostly because we moved across the country shortly after the Vegas wedding and I wanted a decent amount of time to plan a nice wedding and not some spur of the moment type thing.
    Anonymous

• 6 weeks... He proposed May 16th and we got married July 10th the same year.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I don't think getting engaged really means you have to immediately set a date. I kind of think of it as a "lay-away" plan.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2009