castor oil to bring on labor?

I know that it sounds crazy. But I have heard a few people say it works, and a few say it doesnt. Heard good and bad things about it. But I am 40 weeks and ready to POP! And having sex is the furthest thing from my mind. I have been walking everywhere and anywhere....has anyone else drank castor oil to help go into labor, did it work, and how long did you have the runs???

Jessaroo1987

Asked by Jessaroo1987 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• HUN, LEAVE IT ALONE, I KNOW YOU ARE DYING TO HAVE THIS BABY, BUT THE BABY WILL COME WHEN ITS READY. P A T I E N C E!

Answer by older at 1:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree the baby may not be ready yet its lungs still need that extra time just wait it out.
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i drank it and it did not work for me.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my midwives told me to take evening primrose oil. it won't make it happen, but it will help soften the cervix. you're supposed to take them both orally and then put one in vaginally overnight. of course even doing that my first son was born at 42 weeks, so it will still happen when it's ready, but it's supposed to help. good luck
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 1:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Actuallly they are now saying that you should not drink castor oil period because it can dehydrate you. I agree with the others and just let baby come when he/she is ready. Due dates are only an estimate so just because they say you are at 40 weeks doesn't mean you really are.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my cousin did it and was sick sick sick....and did not go into labor
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• if you take caster oil there is a chane the baby will pass something (cant remember what its called) but it makes the baby really sick if they ingest it... I would stay far away from the stuff. its just not worth it in my book.
    chases_mommy

Answer by chases_mommy at 2:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I am all for inductions, whether natural or medical, but I would not do castor oil. It usually doesnt work and then you will just feel shitty. It can cross the placenta giving the baby diahhrea which ups the chance of mechonium (sp?) in the bag of water which can cause pnemonia for the baby if they injest the fluid.

How dilated and effaced are you? If you are more than 50% effaced at 2cm dilated then I would try primose oil. Insert a gel tab as far into your cervix as you can twice a day the first day and then do 2 at a time twice a day after that. It is a natural way to cause your cervix to thin out but it doesnt cross over to the baby.

Good luck! But... if the baby isnt ready to come, it wont come regardless of how far along you are
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You really shouldnt try to do anything such as this stuff cause what if you hurt the baby some women that have tried may say its safe but if you really hurt you and the baby
    Anonymous

• evening primrose oil is safe, that's why the midwives suggest it. but i have personally never heard of castor oil.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 4:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009