do you let dc plug things into the electrical sockets?

my son turned 3 june 5 and has become obsessed with plugging things in... I'm going nuts! no matter how many times I explain to him that it could hurt him very badly he insists on doing it. I finally told him if he does it again he will get the punishment that he hates MOST of all. how else can I make him stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They have those clear plastic things you put into outlets. Maybe if you put those in, if he tried to plug something in he wouldn't be able to because of the plastic but then I would be concerned that he would try and get the piece out which could be even worse. I def. think you need to keep a very close eye on him. And if you catch him doing it again...lay down the law and tough! He could really get hurt!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I don't allow my sons either. They are 2 and 4. I just have the safety covers on every outlet so that they cannot plug anything in. And on the outlets that they can get to that have something plugging in I have covers for those too. They are kind of bulky but that's so that it can cover the electrical cord and the outlet so that the cord cannot be yanked out. They are from Safety1st and worth it in my opinion.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• why are the outlets not covered to keep him from doing it?
    Anonymous

• they were covered til he was about 2 then he started taking them out... he's way too smart. I don't know what to do anymore. he stopped messing with the plugs after I stopped took out the plastic pieces but now he wants to help with everything and that includes dangerous things...
    Anonymous

• I don't allow it. It's too easy for little fingers to be touching the metal prongs as the plug goes in.

How to stop it? I'd probably try two things:
    Have a "plug-in" time. You can have a set time every few days where he gets to plug and unplug things with you there. He's old enough to understand "No mommy, no plug!" You can also call him every time you need something plugged in - it makes things take longer but he'll love it.
    and
    Pull out his least favorite punishment when he plays with a plug without you. That's what punishments are for.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i would always spank my sons hand because i already explained to him how dangerous it was to play with those sockets. As boizmom mentioned i also have the bulky outlet cover for the outlets that are being used and there is no way in the world a toddler can take those off. i myself have trouble sometime lol. i would definately recommend that bulky outlet cover by Safety 1st i think it's like maybe around $5 if that but it's worth the money
    felicia7806

Answer by felicia7806 at 7:06 AM on Jul. 16, 2009