can't get son to sleep in crib anymore

my 15 month old son who used to sleep in his crib for 4 hours a a time and who would only wake up 2 to 3 times a night now will not sleep in his crib at all. everytime we put him in he gets up. how can we get him to sleep there i don't want to do cio method. we are also guilty of rocking him to sleep all the time but it wasn't a problem before.

BettinaG

Asked by BettinaG at 2:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's your choice but at some point you have to realize that the "Where did mommy go" cry of a 5 month old is far different than the "I don't want to be here, I don't want to sleep!" screaming tantrum of a 15 month old. If you don't want to let him pitch a fit, scream, and cry, fine. But how do you handle his tantrums when he wants a cookie and you won't give him one? Are you willing to be consistent and deal with the "I want to keep playing!" tantrum at bedtime the same way?
    He has learned that screaming gets him his way. That's why he won't sleep in his crib now. He knows he doesn't have to. Decide what you will do when he pitches his fit at bedtime, 2am, noon, whenever and stick with it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'm with you on the CIO method. I didn't work for us (he'd throw himself against the crib). At 15 months, he should be able to sleep through the night without help. He may wake up but should be able to resettle on his own. If you haven't read the "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley, read it. She offers some great ideas without CIO. First thing you need to do is back on on rocking him to sleep. Rock until sleepy if you'd like but put him into his crib awake. We found that sitting in his room until he feel asleep worked. We didn't interact with him at all (including telling him to lay down, etc). Eventually he got bored and went to sleep. Each night we'd go through the bedtime routine and leave, giving him time to settle. If he didn't, we'd go back in and sit (invest in a small booklite and read!). One night we left and he didn't care. You can also try sitting closer to the door or in the hall. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009