Baby #2 coming, how will it affect baby #1?

So I am due October 30th with my son and we have a daughter who will be 22 months when the new baby comes. It is easy right now for me to say I will not give one more attention than the other, but as I look back and remember my daughter being a newborn she needed mommy 24/7. For those with 2 or more kids how did your older one become affected by the new baby and how did you manage to give them both mommy time?

HollyRose

Asked by HollyRose at 2:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• my son took it really well he watches over his little bro like a hawk any little cry hes running to me to make him stop....but my son is almost 4 and my baby is 5 months...it was really easy for me....when the baby is sleeping thats when my oldest gets his mommie time or i could be holding the baby and reading him a book or making him something to eat.....if u have to hold ur baby cuz some cry othr wise buy a baby sling so u can still do things with ur other child
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 2:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• that is the worry of every mother. I don't know how to sound callous but your will figure it out. I didn't have the extra time to figure it out. My daughter was born 8weeks early. It was hard because I needed some help with recovery. We managed and she is a beautiful 17 year old now.
    Take the time to enjoy your baby now before her brother is born. Enjoy the one on one time and cuddle and laugh with her. You will appreciate it and so will she.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I had the same worry when I was prego with my second child. my daughter was the same age and she honestly didn't even care she just was so excited and wanted to help what we did while I was pregnant is we prepared everything and showed her it and we even called the baby by his name all the time and when the baby was born my daughter was like "mommy had Blayke!!!" and they brought her in after I had the baby so it was good. dont' be worried it will ok.
    Anonymous

• My oldest was 15 months when her little brother was born and it didn't effect her much but I never gave any of my kids 24/7 attention. I didn't hold them all the time when they were babies or run to them the second they made a noise. At 15 months my daughter was pretty independent and had no problem playing for an hour or more by herself in her room. She only needed me to change her diaper and get her food otherwise she did her own thing.
    My son was a little more demanding as an infant with colic and reflux but when he wasn't eating he was on the floor or in his bed sleeping and I spent that time with my oldest daughter. Once he started moving he was a lot of fun for the older one. They would play on the floor together all the time while I did chores or what not.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Im having the same issues. My daughter is 2 and I am due Jan 29th. I work with parenting classes and councelers and they told me a good way to make your 1st feel confortable with your 2nd is to involve them in things you do with them. Like ask her "do u want to hold the bottle?" But you hold the baby and watch her closely. Or "what do you think we should put on (baby 2)?" give her some options of outfits and let her pick one out. Praise her ALOT when she helps or is nice to the baby or does something you like. I know babies need ALOT of attention but so do toddlers. Never forget that.
    Anonymous

• kids adjust. it's really nothing to worry about. we are pregnant and due w/ our 4th in september. our other 3 kids are 4yrs, 3yrs, and almost 2yrs. they are great friends.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My oldest boy was almost 2 when we had our second boy. They're 8 days from being 2 yrs apart. At first it was exhausting, but it has gotten easier. Now they're 3 and 1 and best friends. My youngest follows his big brother around and they play like there is no one else in the world. When the baby takes a nap i spend some time with my oldest. Try to not overreact if your oldest hits the baby or anything, just gently explain that you dont hit the baby. If you yell it is still attention, yes its bad, but she might not care just as long as its attention from you. They'll be fine, maybe a lil jealous at first, but slowly she'll get over it, just like every other big sib lol.
    kbenson32605

Answer by kbenson32605 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2009