Adoption?

Why do people think that adoption is super expensive? Do you think you HAVE to get a kid from a foreign country through an agency that is going to gouge you? Do you think they only kids out there to adopt are infants, meaning you have to go through an agency?

If you want to adopt, but "can't afford it", try looking into the foster system. By going through the state and NOT through an agency, you can adopt a child (not an infant) for almost nothing. Just check into it. There are KIDS out there who need homes badly in THIS country.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• Some people like myself want to adopt an infant...

I would have loved to adopt a child from fostercare but my life did not turn
    in that direction...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• By only wanting an infant, you're also cutting out the chances of another child of getting a chance at life. There are plenty of women out there that can't have a baby that could take an infant to have that experience, but if you've already had that experience, why not give a slightly older kid a chance?
    Anonymous

• Anon 307 if you are referring to me..
    I have one daughter....

that is 5 now...adopted when she was an infant..

I would love to adopt another child, but I got divorced and I am now engaged to a man
    who has twins that are 7 years old...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It's a personal choice, there is nothing wrong with only wanting an infant. It's a lot harder once the child is older and not everyone can handle it.
    Anonymous

• People want infants so they can pretend it really always been their child. SO they can try to mold it to fit into their family.
    Anonymous

• Adopting infants isnt about providing a home for a baby its about providing a baby for a woman who can't give birth. Sad but true.
    Anonymous

• To the OP: Do you know much about the foster care system? I remember when I was so wide eyed and naive that I thought we could just find a nice child who needed a family. Then I realized that legally free non-handicapped young children just about don't exist. The only exception is if you are willing to take on a large sibling group (3 or more).

Dont trust me, do your own research. Google "state waiting child listing" and you can see every child in the system. Now go farther and search for a child under 6 yr old. You may come up with a couple of dozen photos (in the whole country). The photos alone show the many handicaps that these children have. If you go one step further and sort by race, it brings the list even lower. In my search a minute ago, there is ONE child in the whole system without a handicap,caucasian and under 6 yrs old. He probably is already gone .

Anonymous

• There are infants in social services sometimes. People just never check.
    Anonymous

• My baby will be an infant when he is placed and he is not being placed to "provide a childless couple a child". He does need a home. For expectant mothers who CHOOSE adoption, yes,our babies do need homes.
    PomMomz

Answer by PomMomz at 4:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• There are no shortage of people wanting infants. YOu have a very huge choice as far as choosing a set of parents for a new born baby. NObody is standing in line for a 5 year old now are they?
    Anonymous