how can i get my 16 mth. old to stop biting and hitting me when she's overtired or frustrated? I really don't wanna bite her back....

EVER314

Asked by EVER314 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 20 month old bit me only once. I screamed in pain and yelled "OUCH YOU HURT MOMMY!". She has never bit anyone since.
    I have heard that biting them back can actually make them bite more, but thats just what others have told me, I am not sure.
    Underwoodwife

Answer by Underwoodwife at 3:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Don't bite your child unless you want her to learn that biting is ok under some circumstances. Physically move her away from you & explain to her that she is hurting you. Tell her that you don't want her close to you if she wants to hurt you, if she were older I would say send her to her room, but only do that if she is used to spending time in her room alone. With some kids it only takes a few times, with others more than a few, but they all get the idea that hitting & biting doesn't get them what they want.
    Anonymous

• I tell her all the time she's hurts me and she laughs she thinks it's funny I have never bite her back I just heard about that . How could I give her time out at this age?
    EVER314

Answer by EVER314 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• LOL! My 22 month old son was biting his older brother and me and DH all the time. I bit him back twice, and he stopped. It wasn't enough to put him in time out or explain that he hurt us.
    Anonymous

• You tell her firmly "NO BITING!" and you set her on the floor and walk away. Depriving her of your attention is a time-out at this age. It's attention and a reaction she wants. Some kids even get a thrill out of the scream of pain from mom. Turn you back and refuse to look at her for a minute or so. She will not like it, especially coming right on the heels of a firm "NO BITING!" scolding.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I bit mine back once! After she left teeth marks and drew blood, I barely bit her, she cried and that was the end of biting! Been about 7 months now....
    Anonymous

• I'm with kaycee14. That's what I did and he stopped fairly quickly. Admittedly, a few times I actually had to leave the room when he followed me to bite again. I just made sure I left him where he couln't get to me but I could still see him.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• everyone says don't bite back BUT i used to bite, everyone and everything except my mother she would tell me no and whatever and one day i bit her and she realized i was really hurting my twin when i bit her and she bit me back, not hard enough to draw blood but hard enough that even now (not that i would bite someone) when i am playing around with my SO i am careful how i bite because of that. I'm glad she bit me and if my daughter bites one day i will surely bite her back.
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 11:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009