Have you ever been made to feel ashamed of being pregnant?

I ask because, its no shock that people aren't fussed about pregnant women the way they used to be. People act as though women carrying children should hide away for nine months.

Its unbeleiveably hot here in england right now and i'm expected to not even have a baby bump. Why do people think baby bumps are so gross?!?!?!

This might just be England. Have you ever had an instance of made to feel like rubbish just because you have a baby bump? (by, family, friends or strangers etc)

GrungeMum

Asked by GrungeMum at 3:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not pregnant now but every time I was, my mother actually made me feel like my being pregnant is horrible... Sad thing is she comments about how much of a good mother I am but each time I've been pregnant, all she did was go "Are you f***ing crazy?!" Not ONCE did I have anyone happy about my being pregnant except for myself and my fiance'. Kinda depressing.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• NO WAY!!! Where I live its a thing to be proud of. People even wear cloths that accentuate the belly area. lol.

It might just be the way you are feeling right now, or maybe the people you are handing around.....

Be proud your baby is growing healthy inside you and dont let anyone knock you down!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I feel like Im getting lasers burning through my baby bump when I go to church and the grocery store!!! Its like everyone is staring at my tummy! Specially men! it freaks me out cuz I know what they are thinking!!!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You actually get dirty looks over here for wearing maternity clothing that says something like "Baby in here!"

People treat pregnancy like a disease over here.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 3:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my stepmom tried to be all condesending sp? but I know shes just mad cause she doesnt have any children of her own, she wants one badly, and I dont care for her so it makes her upset. But I just say, "Id rather get my advice from other moms, but thanx"
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Once upon a time carrying a baby was something very special and emulated. Now, its gross, disgusting and needs to not be in anyones face incase they get offended.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I am 36 weeks pregnant and I can tell you that the thing that has been bothering me the most is all the stares and comments from complete strangers. I live in the US by the way. When I go to the mall its like I'm a damn circus freak on parade or something because people will just stare at me, and many times they don't have a very friendly look on their face. I think its so rude. I'll even get people come up to me and ask if I'm having twins or say "wow you must be due tomorrow!" I'm not having twins and I still have 4 weeks to go thanks. I also think those comments are rude because they are basically saying I look huge. I do get the friendly people though on occasion (usually mothers with young children) who say congratulations and ask when I'm due and what I'm having etc.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It depends on age, too. If you're young it's no wonder people give you dirty looks, but they don't know your situation. As a pregnant cashier an old man once said "You know, the best birth control out there is to keep a dime between your knees"
    I was so pissed! I was like, Look, you don't know me, this baby is not an accident, and even if it were, it's none of your damn business!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• oh and about just random ppl, i get a lot of smiles and ppl ask about the baby and other pregnant women try to exchange numbers so when our babies are born and ready to mingle they can play together. If i were you Id get a shirt that said, dont stare at my belly creep...lol cuz then they'll realise and stop, maybe? lol

I have a shirt that says
    IF YOU TOUCH MY BUMP ILL KICK UR RUMP
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The only place i get smiles is whne i go baby shopping. When i go to "Mothercare World" I get smiles from other pregnant women, from the staff and even just the other day their was a brand new dad holding his very teeny baby and he gave me the biggest smile. That was nice.

I wish i could just stay their till i give birth.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 3:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2009