How do I keep my cool with the kids when I'm stressed about grown up things?

The past few months have been very difficult for my husband and I financially. He had to take a significant pay cut at work and I am currently looking for part time work to supplement his income, but I can't find anything. I am a stay-at-home mom to my two children, ages 6 months and 2 1/2. I realize that I shouldn't be taking my stress out on the kids, but sometimes it's hard not to get more aggravated with them (particularly my older child) when I am already stressed. I find myself losing my temper more frequently and not having the patience I used to. My 2 1/2 year old is also getting quite an attitude lately (which I know is the age, but man is it frustrating!). So anyway, what I'm asking is... does anyone have any good tips on how to stay sane when you're going to lose it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I just go outside. Or put the Kaylee in her room, and then go outside.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I feel for ya I am the same way!! My husband travels and is only home maybe if I am lucky 2 days a week. Everything falls onto me financially and stress is such a big thing for me. I stay stressed 24/7 and I do find myself, like alot of moms taking it out on the kids, I have caught myself yelling, screaming at them. Here lately I just ask them to go down to the playroom and let me have a few minutes to myself to cool down, or I just go into my room shut the door and have a good crying for a while.
    cutemedgirl

Answer by cutemedgirl at 3:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Learn Stress Management techniques - yoga, mindfulness, meditation, prayer, exercise - all can be done while getting things done around the house or when you have down time from the kids. 15 minutes a day can help go a long way towards re-setting your stress levels and learning to separate the adult issues from the moments you spend with your children. Also, find friends to talk through your frustrations with, don't hold it in. Also, make sure you're eating a healthy diet, as best you can, getting the nutrients you need and not relying on stimulants like caffeine and sugar to make it through the day.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2009