Do you consider SSDI/SSI Public assistance?

Do you consider social security for disabled or elderly public assistance? I don't. In order to qualify for SSDI or social security (for elderly-ssi is a different program) one must of had to work to get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No it's not public assistance. I actually had someone make the comment to me one time that it must be nice to get free money when I was cashing my son's ss check (survivor benefits) I told them yeah and all it took was his dad dying to get it. If you are disabled and you can't work that's not your fault and ss doesn't make it easy for them to get it. If you are elderly you deserve it for working hard your entire life.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• OH!! That is so rude when people say things like that!!! My dad died when I was 6 and my mom got survivor benefits and It was explained to me that, that money was his money, he paid into the social security system and because he died it became support to the mother of his children. Anybody with children and paid taxes those kids get that money.
    I wish people would just learn to mind their own!!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Nope,I consider it something I should get. Hell,if you can pop out 5-10 babies per 6yrs.,get foodstamps,not have to work..hell...why SHOULDN'T we get money WE pay into the system? And for those of you who 'know' me,the decision was in my favor,yayay!!!
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 4:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My uncle is on SSI he has never worked a legitimate day in his life nor paid in any taxes. What he gets to me is Public Assistance. He is healthy and capable of working how he gets SSI is beyond me.   I call him the welfare king and won't even have much to do with him.  I have turned him in a couple times since he works full time under the table nothing is done.  He paid cash for a brand new truck it is in his girlfriends name.  He is a PA abuser. 

Anonymous

• I think there is waste, abuse, and a corrupt system that needs to be reformed. While the intent is for it NOT to be entitlement but rather savings~it has, over the course of its' history, taken some entitlement turns for the worse... IMO, Nobody will reform it because if they open that can of worms, they will lose votes. Which is pretty much what will happen to health care if ObamaCrapCare is passed/signed.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My dd is severely disabled (severe autism and mental retardation and ADHD) and needs 24/7 attention that can't be provided by a babysitter or day care so we get SSI for her and I stay home. We would not be able to get by otherwise. I guess technically it is PA (how could it be anything else it comes from the government) but as long as you are not abusing it who cares.

If we didn't get the ssi and medical and I had to try to work dd might get taken care of by someone who abuses her or doesn't watch her right or not get the health care she needs (b/c it's so expensive) or might wind up in a home (which would cost way more than her ssi check)

She has been declared to need an institutional level of care but as long as I can help it that will not happen. Honestly I'd much rather get a job and have a dd who was not disabled. (not wishing my baby girl away just saying if I could have chosen when she was born)

angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 1:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2009