How many of you think this?

How many people think that Catholics believe they can do whatever they want and they will be fine as long as they go to confession?

I just came across a statement by a protestant on another site and she said just that, "I might as well be Catholic and do whatever I want and go to confession."

Just wondering how many people share that sentiment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• rubbish

Does wearing a seat belt give you permission to drive recklessly?

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I do not believe that. I think that everyone can slip up now and then- but we should all try to live the best we can. Confessional should be used for the slip ups not a safe haven.
    Anonymous

• It is easy to be cynical & think that, I know a few who prefer to be shallow in their spiritual lives try that route, but many of the Catholics I know try to be good Christians at all times so I know that isn't true across the board.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i dont agree with what the person said. im sure there are some catholics that do but those are also the ones that give other catholics a bad name.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I AM A CATHOLIC BY INHERITANCE, BUT I AM NOT A PRACTICING ONE, CONFESSION IS ONE OF THE THINGS I DON'T APPROVE OF. I DON'T THINK TELLING MY SINS TO A MORTAL MAN WILL CLEAR ME OF ANYTHING, I RATHER DO MY CONFESSION DIRECTLY WITH GOD. THERE ARE A LOT OF CATHOLICS THAT DO WHAT YOU SAID. NOT RIGHT IN MY BOOK!

Answer by older at 3:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If your not sorry for your sins then you can't be forgiven. It's about humbling yourself and trying to do better. We all have something that we need to work on. For some it's pride for others (me) it can be anger. the list goes on. It really helps to know that there is a person who can help through this, and every time we fail we can be forgiven. Hopefully, eventually the sin we need work on gets better and goes away. But like I said if your not sorry it doesn't work. There have been Priest's that refused absolution. The main case would be living together before marriage. Living in sin. If you go to confession and confess this without correcting the situation the priest can refuse absolution. You have shown your not sorry. You will continue to sin.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• "I AM A CATHOLIC BY INHERITANCE, BUT I AM NOT A PRACTICING ONE, CONFESSION IS ONE OF THE THINGS I DON'T APPROVE OF. I DON'T THINK TELLING MY SINS TO A MORTAL MAN WILL CLEAR ME OF ANYTHING, I RATHER DO MY CONFESSION DIRECTLY WITH GOD. THERE ARE A LOT OF CATHOLICS THAT DO WHAT YOU SAID. NOT RIGHT IN MY BOOK!"

So, you're NOT Catholic and you agree with that statement?
    Anonymous

• I know a lot of my Catholic friends do that. A lot of them believe that the fact that they belong to the Catholic church ensures their salvation. Confessing to a priest negates Christ death on the cross. Jesus is our "High Priest" and we are to come boldly to the throne of grace, not talk through a sinful man to get there. Christ is our Mediator, and their is only ONE Mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ the Righteous (1 Timothy 2:5)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'm not catholic so my comments must be taken from that point of view. I have known people who are catholic and live that way. I have also known people from protestant religions that act like if they go to church on Sunday and try not to sin too much they are fine. The only difference is the Catholic church has a formal structure for confession. To protestants it looks weird.

So I can't speak for what Catholics believe I only know that there are people with false beliefs in all churches.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Hmm, I don't know. Maybe the comment would sit better with me if it were phrased: "I might as well be one of those Catholics who do whatever they want and then go to confession." There are some Catholics like that, I'm sure, but I dare say MOST are not and most understand the true purpose behind going to confession.

Anonymous