how many hours do you spend if your a full time college student?

I work full time and thinking of trying a semster full time so that I am not in school forever. Wondering how many hours outside of the classroom is spent on homework/studying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• The rule of thumb is three hours of studying a week for every credit hour; so if you are taking 12 hours in a semester, plan on 36 hours of studying a week.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• 12 units is full time.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 8:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you want to do your studies well, and still work, cut back on your hours, or cut back on classes. Why waste your money if you're only going to be able to put small effort into any one class. It's hard enough to take classes full time while not working, no family obligations, and living in a dorm. With a kid(s) and a job, something's going to have to give....
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It really depends on the course and instructor. My English Comp class has 8-20 hours of homework a week. My Developmental Psych class has maybe, 2 hours of homework a week. 12 credits is fulltime study, so that is normally 4 classes. I am taking that load next semester, while working as much as possible (if I find a job), taking care of my son and getting him to sports.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• half pint if I take classes part time it is the same cost as full time. Its the point of the discount that its a big savings if I can make it work.

I went back for some school already and found out I am still book smart. I am going to talk with an advisor tomorrow to see what they recommend.

I have an awesome husband so I don't have to worry about the home front as much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2009