Can juice give babies diarrhea?

Just wondering if juice can give toddlers diarrhea? What causes it in kids? My son stays hydrated and only has about a glass or two of 100% Apple Juice a day and has diarrhea once or twice a week every week. Is this normal? What could be causing this? My hubby has IBS is this passed on thru your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I give the kid's apple juice when they are constipated. Even then, I water it down, half and half. Within a few hours, they are able to pass bowels movements. So yes, apple juice will cause diarrhea. All juices will in excess, but apple seems to do so more often. My husband also has IBS. I am not sure if it is genetic, but neither of my children have any symptoms. I would lay off the juice period for a couple of weeks and see if it is still a problem.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Yes if they have too much juice it can. Apple juice is a good one for doing that. My youngest would drink a glass and then have the runs for a day afterwards. So I stopped giving him the juice and it stopped. I'd find another juice to give your son.
    frenzied

Answer by frenzied at 3:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Apple juice is a major culprit for diarrhea. I would definitely try a different type of juice, and see if that helps. If it doesn't you may want to have your doctor check him out.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If my DD drinks Welch apple juice she will get diarrea, But she can drink Gerber apple juice with out a problem. I'm not sure what IBS is for sure, So I can't help you with that one. (SORRY)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• OP here. IBS is Irritable Bowl Syndrome.

Anonymous

• i do not give my kids apple juice. it gives them terrible diarrhea. every other juice doesnt seem to bother them but anything with apple juice in it does.
    kbenson32605

Answer by kbenson32605 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my son gets diarrhea with apple juice but if i mix it with half juice half water he's fine so you might try that and see if it works for yours
    Anonymous