Should you watch fat, carbs or calories.......

I look on the internet and see all these different ways to lose weight and some say to eat meat for the no carb diet, then I will read where you should cut out red meat. So confused....... How do you know what will work for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Can't do no carbs, you need good carbs. I look at fat and carbs.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 3:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I am too! I am trying to lower my calories right now, be more active, and eat smaller amounts- every 3 hours. Since last Monday I have lost 7lbs.
    Anonymous

• I think for everybody it's different as to what you should cut out of your diet. Obviously,counting calories will help. We had a biggest loser competition at work recently and for me,I simply cannot eat carb filled foods like pasta and bread. When I cut these out of my diet I drop fast! Others in the competition were still eating all kinds of bread and losing weight. It does come down to calorie intake. If you eat less than you burn you will lose. GOOD LUCK!
    76kendra

Answer by 76kendra at 3:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Because I am a diabetic,,I watch carbs and sugars.

Answer by louise2 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you cut out a lot of fat and many carbs, you'll automatically be on a fairly low cal diet. You don't want to go too low in the calorie area because your body will go into starvation mode and will shift into a low metabolic rate, meaning it will burn less calories than it used to and will take advantage of any food you eat to store what it needs.
    There are many leaner cuts of meat, and you can also trim a lot of fat from meats. You do need healthy fats and you can get those from nuts and olive & canola oils that you use to cook. If you decide to cut out meat, be sure to include other sources of protein like cooked dry beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    If you cut carbs by eliminating breads, pasta, potatoes and rice, keep in mind that you'll still get healthy carbs from fresh fruit and some veggies, also any cooked dry beans or lentils. If you eat cereal, stick to high fiber cereals like All Bran or Fiber One.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Eat good carbs (sweet potatoes, whole grains), eat low fat (but not foods processed as low fat, actual low fat foods), don't take in more calories than you can burn in a day. I would also avoid processed sugar (and HFCS) as much as you can. Try cooking from scratch rather than processed foods.

Get plenty of protein, exercise, water and sleep.
    Anonymous

• Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. You will lose weight. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or would like meal suggestions.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• All are acceptable under certain conditions.

You need healthy fats, complex carbs and a substantial amount of calories (the general rule is no less than 1200 )
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2009