How do you get your child to stop hitting and laughing at you when you tell them no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am still trying to figure that one out. My son always laughs at me when I tell him no. But his Dad will also tell him no, and he gets pouty. The hitting thing we are getting under control.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• At this age it is normal, most toddlers go through this phase because they are trying to get more control. If you hit, they will do the same thing to you. If it is something that you can give a chioce on do it, example.. would you like chez or crackers for snack, would you like to wear the red shirt or the blue one. On the things that they cant have a choice, let them know that NO is not an option, and they have to follow through, and you must follow through. Good luck, but it is a normal stage for toddlers.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It takes time, patience, and consistency.
    For the hitting, you gently grab the hands, firmly say "NO HITTING", and then turn around and walk away without a single glance. Clearly ignore the child for a mintue or so. Even if he starts to scream and cry because you scolded him or because you are ignoring him, wait until time is up and then just go back to business as usual.
    For the laughing, ignore the laughter and concentrate on is he actually doing as asked. Many people laugh when in stressful situations. It's a defensive "Oh I'm cute, don't be mad at me, laugh with me" behavior. Just ignore the laughter and be calm and consistent about your rules and punishments. He'll get it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My dd did that for a short time.... about 3 days maybe! I held her arms down by her side and make it so she can't move them or walk away from me, then after I explained to her we don't hit, it is mean, I let go. Very simple and only took her 3 times before she learned. Hasn't done it since!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009