Switches

Do you use a switch on your child when there is no other resource available that they will obey to?....have you ever been switched....if you had to would you if they were out of control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some people are quick to call things abuse.. Which is why we have so many self centered spoiled children in the world. I was switch spanked when I was a child.. I'd even have to go pick it out myself.. And when I got back and it broke, I'd have to go get two more!! I'm a 22 yr old perfectly well and adjusted person!! Would I spank with a switch? Yeah, but I don't because where we live, we have no trees.. And I don't spank with a belt because the only ones we have have belt buckles on them that are my husbands.. But I've been known to spank with a flyswatter, I've been known to wash a mouth out with soap for being ugly, and I've been known to slap hands legs and feet anytime they were somewhere they shouldn't have been.. Call me old fashioned, but I dont' believe in spoiling and letting your children run wild !
    Anonymous

• No I would not, that seems to be too excessive to me and cruel.
    Anonymous

• NO!! That is abusive and a horrible thing to do to a child. Never ever ever would I do that. When they were younger, I did spank using a wooden spoon, but that's no where near as painful or scary. Even though I did that, I still believe that there are more effective means of discipline than hitting a child. It's very rarely called for, IMO.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 4:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• NO NO NO. That is not discipline. It's abusive punishment. It shows ignorance and lack of thought on the part of the person inflicting the violence on a child. If a person can't think of anything more than taking a piece of a tree and hitting a child with it then they do not deserve to be a parent imo. What on earth could a child do that is so bad that he/she deserves (in the abuser's opinion) to be struck with a tree branch? If you cannot outsmart a child then you need to take a parenting class. For goodness sakes at least watch old tv programs like Leave it to Beaver and see how intelligent parents deal with misbehavior. Not ONCE did Ward break off a piece of a tree to strike the Beav. Trade your kid in for a car if you don't want to learn how to parent correctly.
    Anonymous

• I never was. And I never will do that. I spank, with an open hand, but never anything else. I had a friend once who would get spanked with one of those paddle brushes. The bruises it left were bad. I wouldn't ever want to do that to a child.
    I have hit an adult with a branch though. My cousin hit her son with a paddle from those paddle ball games. After he went inside, I grabbed a branch and hit her with it. She didn't appreciate my point.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• okay so your saying every parent that used a switch back in the day is ignorant so your calling almost every great grandmother ignorant?...i see..i can see how that is, but are you seriously going to go ahead and mention a tv show? come on it is hollywood...not reality...i think people who use fictional shows to raise their kids are as ignorant as the ones who use the switches...i can't understand how people can claim trade the car when they are claiming to use hollywood...hmmm why not use your own personal background to see how that is...i heard a lot of people use switches in the day...and some of those people are still living. so spanking is abusive too? okay yeah you have numerous kids and control them..i think leave it beaver showed you how to do that right? i think not. there is no such thing as a completely happy family that has a smile on their face 24/7....i wonder about peoploe and their responses...IMO but oh well:)
    Anonymous

• I spank with my hand and only my hand. How else would you know how hard you are spanking?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I don't use switches, but I understand why they are used. The point is to inflict pain without actually hurting the child. When you use a switch (or something similar) there is NO force behind it. Yes, that one particular place hurts for a min, but there is no lasting damage. People who use their hands to spank need to put force behind it which can cause harm to the child (spine out of alignment). Using a switch would be better if you choose to spank.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2009