Spin off of the white trash question. So if I know English and Ebonics would you consider me bilingual?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Hmm.. no not really. There are different forms of other languages, such as German that is spoken differently in different areas, and that's not considered bilingual if you know both. Ebonics is still English, but its to English as Americanized English is to England's English. Not sure if that states my point correctly, but I'm really tired atm :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• lol...In Hawaii I spoke pidgen English...so I am bilingual??..lol..Ho brah das cool, I neva know I was so smart.
    Anonymous

• No what a ridiculous question - Ebonics isn't a "language" on it's own; it's a butchering of English by people too lazy to learn how to speak properly.

Living in south central (or whatever) doesn't give you any excuse to not learn how to speak english like everyone else in this country - you can try to use "culture" as an excuse; but that's all it is an excuse; 50+ yrs ago NO ONE had any valid reason to speak in Ebonics; and would be appalled at today's youth...
    Anonymous

• yes

Answer by rkoloms at 4:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you ARE bilinqual does that make you "Bi"?
    Anonymous

• Ebonics is not a real language.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• South Central anon :33? Are you living in the 90s?
    Anonymous

• Actually :02 yes I guess I am. That's about how long it's been since I read an article about some school in CA wanting the teachers to learn Ebonics so they could better communicate with their students. Stupidest f'ing thing I've every heard in my life - how about teaching the students to speak proper English...damn!
    Anonymous

• NO I wouldn't. But if we really think about language and how it came to be was made up by a person. So I wouldn't consider someone who speaks it lazy. They do it intentionally and most who speak it know how to speak proper English as well. The people who claim someone is lazy simply because they choose to speak Ebonics obviously is just trying to be rude.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You think so SylvianCali? Because I am forced to live in the ghetto at the moment and I can assure that these people do not speak proper English. I'm not trying to be rude...just stating a fact where I live. These people are too lazy to better themselves or their children.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 16, 2009