Shouldn't Senators use more Professional type of language in their "official" job?

Things said during the Sotomayor Senate Confirmation Hearing:

"Would you think that Roe might be a super-duper precedent?" probed Sen. Arlen Specter, D-PA

With laughter filling the room, Sen. Tom Coburn R-OK interjected, "You'll have lots of 'splainin' to do.'"

There also were periodic references to baseball — Sotomayor is a Yankees' fan — as well as other light moments.

I mean "super-duper"? An I Love Lucy joke?? (which I'm shocked hasn't raised racism remarks yet).

I'm sorry are they having tea and cake or are they working to confirm a Supreme Court Justice? Is it really that much of a stretch to expect professionalism from them? This kind of thing would not fly during a corporate board room meeting; why do they feel it is acceptable to be so in-formal or casual about their job?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Lighten up a little! They may be Senators, but that is their workplace. You have to have a little humor at work or you will go nuts.

You also have to remember they are speaking "off the cuff" for the most part. They aren't using Obama's teleprompters.

My sister uses the word "splaining" all the time! She has been watching Lucy reruns since she learned to walk and has every episode on dvd. It isn't racist for goodness sakes!

Oh and in my former career as a trust officer I saw more than a few boardrooms. It isn't all stiff necks and prepared statements. It IS often coffee and donuts along with the work.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• That type of language would have never been considered acceptable in any of the corporate environments I've been in; where we were in an official meeting. They aren't having a round-table discussion to decide what stationary they should use; they are attempting to to confirm a Supreme Court Justice; I'd think they'd be more formal and deliberate in their speech...

And I didn't mean that I personally found it racist or offensive for him to say that to her - I'm just surprised that many other groups aren't already flipping out about it...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• "That type of language would have never been considered acceptable in any of the corporate environments I've been in; where we were in an official meeting."

Really? I was in corporate for several years and remember quite a few meetings where similar things happened. When meetings drag on and people get bored and loopy then this kind of thing happens. Other groups are probably not freaking out about this because they get that it's just an attempt to lighten the mood when things get to be too much.

Anonymous

• That type of language would have never been considered acceptable in any of the corporate environments I've been in; where we were in an official meeting.

Have you worked in many corporate environments? Those examples are pretty tame compared to the meetings I've been in. And you'll never get better gossip than when you're waiting for the defendant to show up while the attorneys and judge chat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Yes; I've worked for two international manufacturing companies and several local domestic. What is acceptable on a plant floor between supervisors and some staff is different from what say the CEO and senior management would use.

I'm not talking about weekly/monthly management meetings; but perhaps a more official meeting between two companies preparing for a merger, etc...this would be considered sophomoric and unacceptable; the person/s using such language would likely be looked upon last the next time an opportunity for advancement occurred.

I'm not saying it's "bad" language; just less professional than I would have expected...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'm not talking about weekly/monthly management meetings; but perhaps a more official meeting between two companies preparing for a merger, etc...this would be considered sophomoric and unacceptable; the person/s using such language would likely be looked upon last the next time an opportunity for advancement occurred.

I'll pass that on to my former employers. That would be the VP, President and CFO. They'll get a good laugh out of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• NP - must you ALWAYS be so aggressive? Is there a reason for you being bitchy or is that just natural?

I wasn't calling any one in particular out. I was bored; noticed this in the transcript and found it to be odd - why that makes you feel the need to be confrontational is beyond me...

Just because the places you've worked may not have been as strict as some of the places I've been doesn't mean I was belittling your work experience or whatever else has crawled up your ass & died...

Chill man...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well, my boardroom was in a bank and I was a Trust Officer. I suppose you would have totally disapproved of some of the banter that went on in the meetings right before the Bank Examiners came to audit.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Actually I don't care what anyone says or doesn't say in any particular office - it just surprised me that Senators would be so cavalier while doing their jobs; when other professionals I've worked with would have never considered it...

Again; not saying it's "bad" or they should be voted out ASAP (notice both sides represented in my example) --- just that it struck me as odd and surprising...

Apparently I was correct in my OP and I'm the only one...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009