• In the Spotlight:

Earning Computer Minutes

This year we are going to try to have our kids (11, 10 and 10) "minutes" to earn their computer time. I am trying to come up with a list of how they can earn these minutes and have drawn a blank? Any ideas?

Here is the list so far:
Dress & Teeth brushed by School Time 5 minutes
Breakfast & Morning Chores 5 minutes

Attitude Check - 10 minutes
Whining about School Work - 10 minutes
Chores not done to My expectations - 10 minutes
In the Kitchen without permission - 10 minutes

Lying - 20 minutes

How to gain “Minutes”
Each will give you 5 minutes.

Chores Done in time allotted
Happy Attitude
Going above and beyond expectations
“Giving” with bringing notice to yourself
Thinking of others
Extra “Chores” wit

pjacademy

Asked by pjacademy at 4:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Feeding the goat =5 minutes
    Feeding the sheep =5 minutes
    Abusing Bailey -5 minutes
    Being Shyanne = 25 mintues
    LOL
    No, really, I think that's a REALLY good idea!!! Also, maybe an extra 5 minutes for every 20 they spend reading a book or their Bible and praying? And I really think that your boys should be able to earn something for the hard work they do at Food Bank!!!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 4:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I reread the question and where it says - that is them giving me minutes back??

Am I making any sense?
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 4:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Homework done in a timely manner
    bonus minutes for As

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I think the minus list might cause some repression. I think kids should voice their opinion even if it's whining about homework. You want kids to do chores to YOUR expectations? You are an adult. They are kids. Don't expect adult perfection from kids. Attitude is part of being an adolescent. If you force them to repress that then you are not teaching them to cope and adjust. When they show attitude if gives you an opportunity to teach them. Don't stifle a learning opportunity. Lying = - 20 min. Nope. Lying = NO computer time for the day and I'd make mine write a paper on the importance of telling the truth. I do like the earning minutes though. I make my grandkids earn their minutes too.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Yea I think Its an excellent idea my kids think the only thing in life IS computers,they need to get out and walk,run,play with the dogs, play ball,play at the park,run through sprinklers. Thanks for the wonderful idea!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I don't know I think you can voice an opinion WITHOUT whining! My husband can tell his boss something but if he goes to him whining that doesn't make a good impression.

And they won't get computer time everyday.
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 11:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Oh and if they are shown what my expectations are then yes they are expected to to do it like I want it.

That for the most part that is our outside animals........if they don't clean the cages then we get flies YUCKO!!!!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 11:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009