I got my period on 17th of June. We had sex from June 27th till July 5th. I took a home pregnancy test today i.e.15th of July. But it showed me negative. My expected period is 17th of July. What would be the reason?

ahb27

Asked by ahb27 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Either you didnt ovulate during that time, you are pregnant and the hormones are not strong enough to pick up on the test, or you did not get pregnant. Try to test at least a week after your missed period. This will save you some money and some heartaches. I wish you luck. Keep us posted....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If I recall my biology correctly, your body doesn't produce HCG (which is what the test will be reading for) until after the egg impants in the uterine lining. If you did conceive towards the end of the time period you mentioned, it may simply be too soon after conception for the test to pick anything up.
    Anonymous

• Conception only happens 20% of the time for a normal, healthy couple in any given month. To search for reasons why you didn't get pregnant on demand is almost pointless. Just keep having fun trying.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Could just be that it's too early to test. Wait until your period is supposed to start.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2009