cameron will pee on the potty when we put him on it but he wont tell us when he has to go. how do i get him to tell me when he has to go pee or poop?

momoftoddler1

Asked by momoftoddler1 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you discussed that sensation/feeling he gets when he pees? trying to make him aware of his bodies cues to know he has to go?
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Pay attention to his signs - my son would "grab" his genitals when he had to go and I would see this signal and say something like "Looks like you have to go potty - please go now and then you can come back and play somemore." I used to ask him first, but he always said no and then promptly had an accident. When you observe his signals, call his attention to it so that he can start recognizing the signal with the sensation himself and be able to then connect the sensation with the need to go potty.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Many kids won't tell. The reasons vary - too busy playing, not wanting to walk away from the TV or game, too embarassed.
    Instead of getting him to tell you, start rewarding him for getting there on his own with dry pants. Keep watching him for his "I've got to go but am fighting it" signs and tell him to go try. Don't wait for him to tell you. Don't ask if he has to go. Simply tell him it's time to try. If he goes without you telling him, reward him. Remember two things: "I forgot" and "I was too busy" type accidents are common into early grade school AND your goal is to eventually not have him need your help at all. Watch him closely so he doesn't get too busy to go and encourage his independence.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2009