My sister is "getting" another kid..... who isn't even 10 years younger than her.

My sister's, kid's dad has 2 other kids who are 15 and 16. Well his 16 yr old got in trouble and is being sent to live with him, and my sister. I don't know how she is going to do it, she is 25 and has a 3 yr old and 4 month old baby. So now she has to go hurry up and buy a house so she has enough room. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? I kind of feel bad for her, what can I do to help. By the way, I'm only 2 years older than this kid, if it matters.

UGGGHH a troubled 16 yr old boy from california, coming to live with my sister who doesn't take people's crap. Good thing she "graduated" anger managment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sounds like she may be just the thing that kid needs.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well, one thing to remember is she is not his mother or parent. And any 16 year old will make that very clear. I worked many years with youths that were.....troubled. Anyways, know clue what state she is in and all the small things to go with it, but if he continues to have trouble the state may eventually step in, putting him into a adolescent group home. Worse case scenario. But as a couple, her and her husband need to discuss it and what they will and will not tolerate in their home, with their children, etc etc and make that very clear along with the ground rules from the beginning. And if need be, they have to call the police on the child, if he and his behaviors are that bad and damaging. Lots of luck to her and them
    Anonymous

• My 30 year old sister has an 18 year old stepdaughter. Not quite the same age difference, but pretty close. Now, she was 13 when my sister married her dad. Her mother had just gotten into a bad car accident and she went to live with her dad while her mother recovered. It was really awkward at first, but she started seeing my sister as a friend, not a parent. They talked through a lot of things that she didn't feel comfortable talking to her parents about, or even her school friends. Her grades got better, she dropped her "bad" friends and gained some better ones. It worked out really well for everyone involved. Hopefully that can happen here. I simply suggest that your sister treat this child the same as she would her own. The same expectations, the same rules she thinks are appropriate or will be for her children are the same ones that this one should have.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2009