Would you have called the police?

So I am sitting in the car with the kids while my husband is paying for gas. I see a man parked in his car holding an infant-perhaps 6 months old. Another child (10-12 somewhere in there) comes out of the gas station and gets in the front seat. The man then passes the baby to the girl and drives off. I called the police, as the were leaving and gave them the license plate number and a description of the car. What would you have done?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have done the same thing. I used to work for a dry cleaner at a pick up/drop off location. There was a drive through. Anyway,people would come through all the time with children out of car seats. Once, a woman came through with 3 older kids (preschool age) in the backseat with a small baby in between. None of them had a car seat or seat belt. I was on the phone before they got out of the parking lot.

corinnejenkins

Answer by corinnejenkins at 6:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would have done the same thing.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 5:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• not sure. I'd like to say the same thing but I don't know; if my husband had been there with me I would have done nothing. He doesn't like it when I stick my nose into affairs he feels like have nothing to do with me. Now if it were me by myself I would have done what you did and perhaps called the police.

I've been in the car with my BFF stopped at a red light and noticed a small child in the back not strapped into the car seat had my friend blow her horn to get her attention (she was busy yappin on the phone) to let her know hey lady your kid is not buckled up properly and she turn right around and curse me out and told me to mind my own business. Light turns green and she pulls off. Few lights ahead we see she was pulled over by police and the officer looked like he was writing her a ticket. Was it for not having her kid in the seat? don't know, but having him out of his car seat didn't help plea her case.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would have called the police. You are looking out for the welfare of the child. It IS the law...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Same thing. He was clearly breaking the law and you're a concerned citizen. You did the right thing.
    Anonymous

• I would have called too.... but I also have the same problem with my DH that Ladybugkisses does.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would have done the same.
    Anonymous

• I would have also called if I had a phone on me.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 6:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Wow, do all of you have the police dept saved in your phone? I saw some kids smoking maryjane, passing it between cars once when we were on vacation. I would have called had I had the number.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Yes calling the police was the best thing u could have done. My hubby is a cop and most wanted convicts drive with their children not in car seats or even seat belted. Then they run from the police and that childs life is in danger.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 8:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009