Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help! My son and his live in girl friend are having problems....

They do not communicate well and have decided to go there seperate ways. The problem is that they have a 7 month old baby (my first grandson) and I am head over heels with the baby. The baby is with me Thursday thru Sunday of each week. My son's girlfriend is moving back home with her mother. I have heard that the house is always a mess. The other grandmother wanted her daughter to have an abortion when she found out her daughter became pregnant. I want to ask for custody? What should I do?


Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Continue to be the grandmother to that baby and a friend to that girl. You have no basis for asking for custody. You do have basis to ask for Grandparents Rights (should they try to keep you from seeing the baby). If the law worked on "think so's" and "well, it might happen" , then this would be an even more screwed up world than it is. Just because you don't like the way they keep house is no reason for you to start stirring the pot already. If indeed the house is filthy to the point of being a health issue - then you can call CPS anonymously and let them judge the cleanliness. Don't cause trouble just because you don't like what MIGHT happen. If that baby has been with you 3-4 days week now - why do you think that will change. She's leaving your son, not you.

    Answer by PaceMyself at 5:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • From only the information you gave, I think you should keep out of it. Continue to watch the baby Thursday - Sunday and be a good grandma to him.

    Answer by Christina807 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • will she give it up? is she the "mothering" type? is she tired of the baby? just ask her.. take a stand.. tell your son that you would want it if they didnt, i dont know what sate you are in but if there no grandparents rights, you will have to fight, you have to prove (if she wont give it up) that she is a horriable mom.. and TRUST me thats harder than you think..

    Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 5:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • Well just because the other grandmother wanted her daughter to have an abortion then doesnt mean she wont love the baby now. And chances are if the baby is being taken care of and not being neglected then you wont be able to get custody. You will only be making the mother of the baby VERY upset and then she might keep you from seeing the baby. You are not the childs mother, you are the grandmother you can love the baby but you cant take him from the mother just because she moves out of your house! Put yourself in her shoes, I am sure it is hard enough to have to move out and basically start over!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2009